My Inquiry Journey to Date

As a class, we watched the film, Precious Knowledge, in September 2016, which sparked my initial inquiry question, which was simply “how can I implement culturally responsive pedagogy?”. It wasn’t until I visited my practicum school in November and observed the school demographic that I narrowed my focus to culturally responsive teaching to Indigenous cultures.  On November 23, 2016, in the same EDST 401 class we had a guest speaker from Talhtan Nation named Curtis Rattray come in and speak to us about Indigenous issues in schools. In his presentation and in the supplemental materials he provided, he demonstrated the importance of oral story telling in First Nations cultures. His presentation was filled with personal anecdotes which made me feel a lot more invested in what he had to say, which in turn made the presentation much more memorable. His presentation style was extremely engaging, which made me realize how effective story-telling can be. This led me to inquire further into other methods of delivering material that would be culturally responsive to First Nations learners.