Blog Post Week 10 [Rigoberta Menchu]

I was highly excited about this week’s reading as I am half Guatemalan because my mom is from Guatemala. Aside from that, I recently was told by my mom when I mentioned that we were discussing Guatemala and Rigoberta Menchu in class and she said that my Grandfather had the pleasure of working and meeting Rigoberta Menchu on multiple occasions and showed me a picture published in a newspaper where they were interviewed together. This is because my Grandfather was very involved with the student movement that rose in Guatemala at the time and was advocating for it.
I have also been studying indigenous people from around the world in my anthropology class, and we just started looking into Latin America, including Guatemala and having that background gave the reading so much more context and insight. When you understand that almost half of the Guatemalan population are indigenous people, it makes the fact that out of the percentage of the people that lives in poverty, 75% of them are of Indigenous origin, WHich puts Indigenous people in Guatemala at an undue advantage in every aspect of their lives.
Moreover, moving to the text, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked how it is told in the first person, which is typical for memories, but it always makes me feel more connected to the reading. As if the author is telling your story and what happened, the task feels more intimate and personal.
I felt very connected with her story and how she detailed her activism at a young age, participating in protests and joining a revolutionary group called the Committee of Peasant Unity. She describes the harsh living conditions of Indigenous peoples in Guatemala, including the lack of access to education and healthcare and the discrimination they face from the government and wealthy landowners.
I felt moved by various of her experiences and felt the injustice she described very deeply, injustices such as how she was forced to do labour as a child and her struggles with poverty and discrimination, how she recounts her own experiences with sexual assault and the experiences of other women in her community. Menchú’s story is one of personal struggle, resilience, and perseverance in facing oppression and injustice.
She deserves her noble prize and is a person I have admired from a young age since my mom told me stories about my Grandfather and her home country, and I was thrilled and nostalgic after reading this.
My question for you this week is: What part of the text was the most shocking/eye-opening for you?

« »