Community Field Experience #1

First, a note: Internet has been few and far between in the Yukon. What I have been able to get a hold of so far has been slow, making it very difficult to attach photos to this post.  Cellular data (when I have had reception) has been good however so I have been posting some photo’s to my Twitter. Search #YukonTrip2016 on twitter to see what I and my fellow leaders have been posting throughout the trip. 

I was fortunate to be placed in a practicum classroom that has a large scale year culminating field trip. Throughout my long practicum I have been delivering a blended language arts program which looks at both English language as well as Social Studies curriculum. As the term has progressed I have been using Pierre Berton’s “Klondike” to study the last great gold rush! Perhaps you have heard of it.

The year has been spent reviewing tales of prospectors who made the treacherous trip up the Yukon River in hopes of striking it rich. What has been so interesting about this practicum is that the class is able to make real life connections to what they have been studying. For our “year culminating trip” we have ventured to Canada’s North, the Yukon Territory, in the hopes of seeing something REAL relating to what we are learning.

Before I go into the learning that has taken place on the trip, I would first like to remind you the wonderful effects that the “big trip” had on classroom learning throughout the year. Because the students knew they were going to the Klondike, the bar (as far as I can tell) was raised. Student engagement throughout the semester was high. Towards the end of the semester, students began working on their inquiry projects, which are in depth research projects about topics of interest that relate to the driving question “What does the north contribute to Canada’s story?”

A lot of learning has taken place. The activities which we have been lucky enough to participate in, for the most part, directly relate to student inquiry projects. In order to facilitate some note taking I, and Ms. Mack (Division 2) teacher, developed an Inquiry notebook which had some prompts in it, as well as some paper to freely write notes on. It has been such a joy to see students pulling out their notebooks when some important information comes up in a presentation. There has been multiple occasions where students are asking for email so they can as more questions.

Some of the groups, who have benefited the most, where the inquiry projects who are studying some history relation to First Nations. The first hand accounts which students have come into contact with over the course of this trip has been amazing. So many of our the people sharing the history have been amazed at the level of understanding students are coming up with. This high level of knowledge has resulted in thoughtful questions which drives an even deeper understanding of the material.

Beyond the inquiry there is so much more to write about. I will briefly talk about some of it but save a more detailed account for another posting as it is late and I need to sleep. One thing about this trip has been the incredible amount of work it takes to keep 54 students happy, rested, and socially responsible in this sort of environment. The days have been long and packed with things to do. Many of the adults are feeling overwhelmed with the workload although I am trying to take it in stride. I am having the time of my life. Yes, I am tired, but this has been the trip of the lifetime and I feel so lucky to have been a part of it!

Another thing worth mentioning is all the “drama” that goes along with a school trip. The “meltdowns” which have not happened that much this trip. The inappropriate behavior during dorm time. Loud restaurants. THE FORGETFULNESS!! 54 students leave so much stuff behind! It is unbelievable (although I suppose I can’t complain as on TOC day I forgot my water bottle in Amanda’s room) It really is frustrating while simultaneously funny and cute seeing what students leave behind. When you end up handing it back you a hero for about a minute.

Today I am writing from Dawson City. The place which we have studied throughout the year. Even from the teacher’s perspective I am learning so much. Not only about the history but about the students. Many students have had the opportunity to come out of their shells. I think about one instance which happened last evening. While on the paddle boat, a student who is usually very shy approached me with a huge smile on her face and told me a joke. She was full of joy and laughter and continued merrily only her way with a friend who was equally possessed with laughter.  This was a student who had never really initiate conversation with me in that way before. We have spoken many times but it is usually I who starts the discussion. This time she was just so eager to share her joke. It felt like such a “win.” Seeing students come out of their shells and showing a new side of themselves has been amazing to witness.

Well, it is getting late and I have a relatively late wake-up call at 7:00 am. We are going to eat a breakfast provided by the hotel. They seriously make the best “hotel coffee” I have ever had. I did a little of inquiry of my own and the server told me that she comes from Sweden where strong coffee is a must. I am sad that we are departing tomorrow as it will be my last cup of STRONG coffee. Alas, we will have to see what Skagway offers, but util then you will just have to wait to see.

CHEERS!

PS

Camping in the Yukon has been cold and I wish I packed a better pillow!

One thought on “Community Field Experience #1

1. So great to hear from you Jon and thank you for providing a bit of a background so anyone reading this has an understanding of the history. I have enjoyed following the feed on twitter thus far and can sense the ghosts of my great grandparents in the photos of the Klondike. I am so glad you are finding the true ‘nuggets’ in your search for gold on this journey (too much?!). Your reflections on how students respond in this new context compared to the classroom can definitely be taken into your future practice (even if you don’t have the opportunity for a major trip like this!) and possibly just life… funny to read about the forgetfulness. My husband took our niece when she was three on a field trip and didn’t realize he needed to ‘track’ her belongings ;D Looking forward to the next ‘visit’. All the best. Y