About Me

mrgreenreportsHello! My name is Jonathan Green and I am a teacher candidate who is currently enrolled at the University of British Columbia in the Personalized Learning and Technology Cohort. You are visiting my inquiry blog where I am looking into the topic of “homework”. I am trying to figure out what, if any, value homework offers elementary students who are trying to balance busy lives with the demands of academics.

Throughout my inquiry process I want to think about how technology can influence students in the classroom but also what value it can offer students for at home educational exploration.

At the end of the day, reading this blog should inform you about what some of the most current research says about homework. It will provide you with some personal insights and ideas about how we should go about assigning homework. Ultimately, I am trying to uncover what the best practice is that ensures students are able to succeed in an ever more complex and demanding world.

Teaching Philosophy – Collaborate, Communicate and Build Community 

I think learning should be exciting. To accomplish this task it is essential that teachers get students working together. Creating opportunities for collaborative learning is something which I strive for. Getting students to explore learning opportunities together in a respectful manner leads a rich learning experience. When students are actively involved in the decision making process they take ownership of what and how they are learning. In an environment like this, it is hard to stop students from absorbing some newfound knowledge.

On top of creating a collaborative work space I am committed to the idea of bridging the gap between the school and the community. In many communities schools are isolated in a bubble which is distinct from the surrounding area. Learning often happens in the classroom, but formal education does not strive to push outside and into the surrounding community. It is my goal to get students actively involved in community building and understand the place they come from. Place-based education is an essential component to learning.

Get outside. Explore. Take ownership in learning.