Makerspace and inquiry learning

Standard

Today I observed the progress and the process my students have made since two weeks ago. Today they have managed to run the Raspberry Pi by themselves from the power of Google searching, completed the props for stop-motion videos and are almost ready to make a presentation of their leanings. After some debrief with my SA, I was able to put meaning to my observations more than ever in relation to fostering a connection with my students. I have witnessed those who can come up with new ideas, those that need to cling on to someone and those that think in black and white. These students behave accordingly to their nature such as those who are willing to try new ideas, those who don’t venture outside their comfort zone and those who derail easily. It’s made me realized I don’t really know my kids that well and am barely scratching the surface. In the morning I have trouble remembering their names after 2 weeks and I wish I can be there more just to learn more about them. But this is exactly what my inquiry is about, to throw challenges at students that can be solved with the aid of technology. This also affords for them to connect with me and at the same time allowing them to connect to the world. This actually expands my original intent and actually answers my question to what is “Meaningful” use of technology. It’s a shame that I cannot be there every time it happens and see the full result of student progression but I am glad to get a glimpse of it. I can make some sense of what I have seen and see the potential of meaningful technology in a classroom. I now need to start thinking about the objectives and big ideas for lessons involving technology and what opportunities they will provide. After that I can start thinking how to be able to come up with my own activities or use of technology in lessons so that it could be very meaningful and goes along with my teaching philosophy and inquiry question.

Martinez, S. L., & Stager, G. (2013). Invent to learn: Making, tinkering, and engineering in the classroom.

One thought on “Makerspace and inquiry learning

1. Yvonne Dawydiak

You are definitely beginning to hone your ideas regarding meaningful use. While I’m not sure this is a definitive answer yet due to the breadth of the question, I do look forward to seeing how you connect this to literature in an upcoming reflection and also seeing how you begin to incorporate it into your planning for practicum!