About me

Page

Are you here to look at how technology can be used meaningfully in an elementary classroom? You’ve come to the right place!

My name is Andy Leung, a teacher candidate studying at the University of British Columbia. I am doing my practicum in a grade 5 class and I strive to infuse technology into my teachings meaningfully to better prepare my students for life surrounded by electronics and digital information.

My teaching philosophy (which is still changing with experience) is that learning should be equitable for everyone. Learning should also help prepare students for the future they will live which will be full of technology and connections to other communities. I will try to teach my students through a blend of material already established by veteran teachers and adding on new technology aspect to enhance learning. The internet affords for us to connect to so much more information and people outside of the classroom. I predict this to be the trend of the future where we will all be “an arm’s length” away and students can make use of this connection to learn from sources beyond the horizon.

On this blog, I am trying to find the meaning behind using technology meaningfully and not for busy-work or as a distraction. Just showing a Powerpoint presentation 10 years ago was already considered technologically advanced when today it’s just another common skill. Technology has grown to be user friendly enough for us to easily connect to classes around the world, talk to each other from the comfort of our homes. But what’s making it meaningful to learning and what are the dangers and pitfalls?

Stay tuned for my updates to find out more as I journey to become a full fledged teacher while finding the meanings of meaningful technology.