Edu What? Edutopia!

Edutopia: 6 Apps for Creative Writing

Edutopia is “A comprehensive website and online community that increases knowledge, sharing, and adoption of what works in K-12 education. We emphasize core strategies: project-based learning, comprehensive assessment, integrated studies, social and emotional learning, educational leadership and teacher development, and technology integration.”

It was developed by George Lucas after he discovered that school had not changed since his curiosity and creativity was not fostered but he sat through his classes bored and uninspired. He decided to make a change and developed a website that would foster innovation and would include replicable and evidence-based approaches to helping students and teachers in the K-12 system.

One of the articles that I found effective was “6 Apps for Creative Writing”. It offers educators a list of iPad Apps that can be used in the classroom to foster student’s leaning and writing. It also outlines how students can ‘publish’ or ‘post’ their work. These apps offer students the ability to not only utilize technology and other modes of learning, but to also track their learning digitally.

This supports my inquiry topic of how to use digital sources for personalized student learning as well as assessment, for both the teacher and the student. I also believe that further exploration of Edutopia will offer me many more articles and tools that I can use to either affirm or deny my inquiry topic.

Burns, Monica (2014). 6 iPad apps for creative writing.
Retrieved from: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/ipad-apps-for-creative-writing-monica-burns?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

1 thought on “Edu What? Edutopia!

1. Yvonne Dawydiak

Thank you for posting this Sara. *In keeping with course instructions and copyright, please include a full reference to the article. You might also consider a hyperlink as this is common practice in the blogosphere (not required but often seen as ‘good form’ ;D