Let’s Watch a Story

It is rare that I am able to find a story that engages every single one of my students at the same time, I’ve tried. But I have found that using a visual representation of the same story captures all of their attention.  Whether it is listening to the audio of someone else reading the story, watching it acted out, or having it come to life, all of my students are engaged!

Because of this, I have been looking for resources that allow my students to watch a story rather than listen to me.  I have been utilizing animation videos from “YouTube” and other video websites.  I have found that many of the videos are age appropriate and offer my students a different example of what is a ‘story’.  I have not stopped reading to my students though! And I don’t think I ever will.  It is just as important to read to the students as well as offer them an alternative in watching a story.

Words of advice: watch the video all the way through. I have watched a few videos that I thought would be perfect, but the ending is inappropriate. It is also good practice to know what you are showing your students before you show them.

1 thought on “Let’s Watch a Story

1. Yvonne Dawydiak

LOL – the sage words of advice with which you close your post resonate with me Sara. Picture this – teacher candidate in 1989… grade 2 class… health curriculum video about the dangers of smoking… the video was ‘approved’ by the Ministry… the tired and overworked TC didn’t watch it the whole way through… “It’ll be fine” I thought! Well, those cartoon bunnies were not smoking tobacco. Nuff said?