Rock of Ages Musical in Seattle

While traveling in Seattle during the reading break, I took the chance to attend the 5th Avenue Theatre’s debut of the Rock of Ages musical. I knew about this show from its Chinese reproduction and watched a brief clip of rehearsal online. That was when I found myself touched by the song “Dead or Alive”. I have always been more attracted by classical or country music before and deem rock music as somehow consuming. But because of “Dead or Alive” and the coincidence that Seattle was holding the show for the entire February, I decided to give it a try.

I did my research beforehand. Rock of Ages was composed to glorify the classic rock songs by the famous bands from the 1980s, the golden era of rock. That was the reason why songs by Styx, Journey, Bon Jovi and other recognized bands were integrated into its story-telling. It aimed to call for a nostalgic feeling for the rock fans and carry on their Rock n’ Roll spirit. The original Broadway production was revealed in 2009 and the Seattle reproduction was celebrating its 10th-year anniversary.

Act One introduced how a young girl Sherrie came to Los Angeles in pursuit of her rock star dream and how she met a club busboy Drew. “Sister Christian” was one of the very few songs with a soothing and lyrical texture throughout the show and it expressed Sherrie’s loneliness as well as her firm determination towards setting off her journey. The accompaniment was first full of rapidly repeated chords from the drum kit and electrical bass guitars, until being replaced by a monophonic melody from a keyboard when Sherrie and Drew met. It maintained a romantic atmosphere for a moment and then switched back to the repetitive and heavy drum beats when they started to discuss LA and the rock club that Drew worked at.

Then a highlight of the show started when the inebriated superstar Stacee came after being invited by the owner of the club to give his farewell concert. “I’m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride; I’m wanted dead or alive”. As the lyrics were sung in a lazy and arrogant voice, he portrayed a rebellious and dissolute figure who was loved and hated by the crowd at the same time. There were heavy metal beats from the percussion accompanying the singing during the climax, creating an orgiastic atmosphere for the audiences.

Act Two was about how the rock lovers in the district fought against the mayor who tried to close down the club under the advice of a German expert. They achieved their goal through collaboration and moreover, through arousing love. In the end, when every character fixed their relationship with their loved ones or found their true love, the people united and sang “Don’t Stop Believing” together in forceful and emotional tones. The voice of Drew (played by Galen Disston) was particularly warm and penetrating. The metal beats by the percussion reached its loudest and strongest and the high notes by the electrical guitars added an even more contagious taste. The whole floor of audiences including me could not help to stand up and sing along. The music became a reminder of our longing for love and pursuit for dreams.

It was in all an eye-opening and fantastic experience. Not only did I discover the charm of rock music, but also become empowered by the human spirit that the music conveyed. There was a poster in front of the theater, and I would like to share its interpretation of the significance of a great musical: “It puts a song in your heart, paints the world with color and adds a certain lightness to your step”. I would love to attend another musical whenever I get a chance.