Veni, vidi, vici y’all.

And somehow we came in tied for second?

But it’s okay because this war was not just out of two teams. This was COLOUR WARS at Totem Park.

Fast forward. Ned here on Sunday night and I can safely say I survived the non-stop weekend of activity.

The weeks here at UBC are falling into routine as are the leaves on the few deciduous trees around TePee (Totem Park – Haha I make myself laugh sometimes). Hence, I am focusing more on the weekend activity on campus. Besides the fact that campus looks completely dead [insert another stupid lame joke about crumpled dried dead leaves on the ground here] on Saturday and Sunday between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Before, you know, the booze comes out…

So this weekend was the famous Colour Wars event at Totem. Sure, you Vanier kids can have the Olympics and do whatever you want but Totem was where it was at Saturday morning. I’m in Haida [hi-dah] House and I think we were getting pretty intense with our black warrior face paint. We were playing dodgeball on the tennis courts. Tug-of-War on the field. Oh yeah – shout out to all the Haida ladies because we owned the girls only Tug-of-War match. Just saying. Won’t say against who. And also the wacko shaving cream relay.

But as my friend mentioned the morning was all about house bonding and Totem pride. All these events just make me feel like First Week all over again. I kind of wonder how long this feeling lasts, because just when you think “Alright I’m settled in now, the school year is starting, like my Prof actually mentioned something about mid-term today, all the crazy events are over…” They pull out something like this and we’re back at summer camp.

Has any one felt that? The summer camp syndrome? That we’re all stuck in this (slightly dreary because it rains) summer camp. That soon we’re all going to be packing up our stuff, hug each other good bye and lie to ourselves saying stuff like we’ll write and keep in touch. Sorry this is the twenty-first century now. Saying stuff like we’ll Skype and text.

But Colour Wars was so much fun. You really have to get into it and just go out and be hardcore and show your pride. If you don’t try and get pumped up, you’re not going to get pumped up. Which goes back to the whole idea of uni is what you make of it. So come on and carpe diem guys! I feel a little bad for all the commuter students I meet in class because I feel as though being in rez has been incredible and I don’t know what to say to people who don’t live on campus.

So, yeah Haida came in second. YES, that’s right. Second. There was so mix up, but I assure you these results are totally legit. We tied with our long rival Shuswap.

There’s lots more to come on this but right after the Colour Wars I literally raced off to Granville Island to something very cool and not secret but I know a future post is coming about it in the near future so I will expand upon this there…

Next was the G.L.O.W. Dance. Unfortunately, I didn’t buy a ticket soon enough so I got a little left out of the dance. BUT, I totally enjoyed Saturday night with some awesome dorm-baked cinnamon buns a la toaster oven. If only I could bottle that smell and keep it with me. Seriously, tips on how to attract girls into your dorm: bake cookies. It’s that simple. Screw the stomach being the way to a man‘s heart. Us women (and my fellow floormates agree) are all about the digestive track too! Food is good. End of story.

Continuing with the play-by-play of my weekend, Day of the Longboat Clinic was this morning. Totally pumped for next week. Day of the Longboat = Largest Longboat event in North America. Longboat = (in layman’s terms) glorified canoe. As well, more information to come. What makes things even more super is that I get to be our team’s runner and hit the gong. Yeah! A gong? A gong! I mean any event that has a gong ranks ten times higher on any scale/league of awesomeness. I mean – it’s going to be a flipping gong show!

Then this afternoon, I took a ride on the SkyTrain to visit my relatives and while I was on the train there was this moment where I thought to myself “Hey, my Mom has no idea where I am right now.” Right at that instant. And it just felt a little strange to me thinking about where I am. Like where the heck was I? I was moving on a train. Sure, Sheldon Cooper could’ve given me a long explanation about frames of reference. Then, part of me wants to get all deep and philosophical and say this whole train was some metaphor for my life, moving at 90 km/h (albeit no where close 340.29 m/s).

But still, how has it already been a month? Time’s a flying.

Sheesh y’all feels like it’s a dream.

2 thoughts on “Veni, vidi, vici y’all.

1. Ohhh, so that’s what it was. We (some friends and I) were quite angry at the organizers for that because we were booted off the tennis courts with no notice so that Totem could play dodgeball… …it’s a tennis court–not a dodgeball court…

Congrats on second place though!