Come Around Sundown

I’ll be miles high ringing in the New Year on a plane. But erm not part of that club…

I checked in already and it’s pretty full, I am so tempted to bring a bell and literally ring in 2011, or at least a blow up streamer whistle thingymerbobber.

2010’s been a real busy year for me and for all of us I think. There’s really been too much stuff to even try and wrap your head around the years events. I’m not even going to bother attempting a list right now.

As probably everyone else on the planet, today’s a day of reflection on how much has changed in a year. I recall last year scrambling to write up university supplemental. But I knew that in one year’s time I’d have accomplished so much and my life was going to have some massive changes. Last year I was looking forward to finishing my IB exams (check), graduating from high school (check), getting into my top university (check), exploring the world a little (check), moving across the country (check), becoming a university student (check), becoming a blogger? Who’d have guessed.

Those are all some pretty big milestones and what a great year to complete them a nice round number 2010.

Before I forget, not that I could forget, but that’s just a great transition…Shout out to one of my BFFLAAAAAAAAAAD Bobby Jim. That stands for best friend for life and after after after after after (you get the point) death. I come back home and basically just start acting and bugging him that he’s going to come and join me out here next year. This part sounds completely made up hahaha.

Seeing old friends again is great but to sum up my Christmas break in three words I’d say: whoa there technology. Mom and Pop got an eggsbox$3.60. I swear they’ve been planning this all along: buy the video games once all the children have moved out of the house. Brilliant, really. Gives us more of an excuse to come home. My Christmas gift highlight was definitely a swimsuit so I can finally take advantage of the free pool time for UBC students at the Aquatic Centre.

I feel a little bad that I’m leaving my Mom to pack up all the Christmas decorations. It’s been a great holiday. Of course a little sad to be leaving home. Sad about the food. I officially feel like Ugly Betty Season 4 with my new hair, new glasses – plum coloured if you’re wondering, but I have my classic shiny red ones as backup, and I’m moving this time I’m going alone.

New year, new city, new adventures.

Tonight enjoy yourself and relax. In West Indian culture we call is Old Year’s Night instead of New Year’s Eve. Which kind of describes how it’s should be the epitome of the entire year. Sum of everything together, the years accomplishments and successes. But it’s the start of something new. It’s one of those triple moments where the past, the present and the future kind of combine in some cosmic sense blurred into one. Unless your vision is just blurry from having too much egg nog.

Title of this post comes from my new favourite CD (people still use those – no way!? Wayyyyyy) from the most good lookin’ band of brothers. Calm down now 12 year old girls it’s Kings of Leon not the Jonases. Check this album out. Loving it.

So wherever you are tonight counting down the seconds, whether on a jet plane, on a couch, downtown on the streets, or in your friend’s basement. Be safe, be merry and cheers to 2011.

Here’s to the future, the world awaits.

1 thought on “Come Around Sundown