Review of Soldiers of Salamis

When our original beliefs are defeated by reality, is it that we have changed, or is the society that is the way it is, it is only when we grow up that we realize the most primitive self. “Soldiers of Salamis” is a classic war novel. I like this book very much. Although I am against war, we can still learn a lot from war. It tells stories about Sanchez Mazasn in the Spanish Civil War and how he survived after being captured by the enemy (Republican), people believe he is a hero. After the war, he became a minister in the first Franco government. However, he soon felt despair about his government and politics, so he left and became a writer. How is a hero made? This is one of the questions that has been on my mind since I read this book. Is Sanchez Mazasn truly a hero? He supported violence when it came with glory. But he never really fought for his glory. He was talking at the top of his voice to let people know the necessity of regime change, but he didn’t do anything when he got great political power. Who is the real hero? The author uses long paragraphs to track who set Mazasn free and tries to ask the reader who is the true hero. Answers vary from person to person. I personally think neither of them is a true hero. I hate what Mazasn did. He is a coward. He has great ambition but small resolve, with great power comes great responsibility. He could have done a bunch of great things to achieve his ambition, but he escaped. His behavior reminds me of the words, “What he talks about is ism, what he thinks about is business.” The soldier who let Mazasn free is not a hero either; he is a traitor. He lied to his comrades and failed his mission intentionally. Even with a dash of wartime adventure, a book about a minor fascist would be uninteresting on its own, but the tale of its creation adds depth, emphasizing the complexity and ambiguities of history made me think a lot about heroes. What is a hero? I have no clear answer, but what I believe is that a hero is a sign, a lighthouse, or a conviction that inspires and guides generation after generation of people. Let us believe that, despite the seemingly endless darkness, we can and do seek the light. My question is, what is the definition of a hero?

5 thoughts on “Review of Soldiers of Salamis

1. Hi Nier! Thank you for your reply. You had some nice discussions about the rather ambiguous role of heroes in this novel, which I agree with. I think an aspect causing this ambiguity and the lack of clear borders is the ultimate complexity hidden in human nature. Humans tend to be dominated by their own and surrounding emotions, making them implement unexpected decisions that have significant consequences, in this case, the successful escape of Mazas. To answer your question, I think Bolaño provided an excellent definition of a hero in his conversion with the narrator in the third section. Some of its characteristics include blind, irrational, and instinctive.

2. “‘Soldiers of Salamis’ is a classic war novel.” – but is it? What do we make of the introductory idea in the lecture, that Cercas’ novel questions how history is written? (If you have not yet seen the lecture, you can find it here on the RMST home page!) And, thank you for your question! I’ve added it to our list, also visible there.

3. Hi Nier! Thank you for your post. I really like how you talked about if Mazas really is a hero or not. I never thought about it in a different perspective when I was reading the story. The definition for a hero is really broad. I think a hero is someone who helped or saved someone/place. They don’t need to be acknowledged by ‘everyone’ to be a hero.