Review of The Society of Reluctant Dreamers

This is another surreal novel,which are often associated with those ethereal things, just like the theme of this novel-dream or a dreamer. Under Jose’s pen, his articles are very beautiful and colorful. You can see rainbows, blue houses, blue whales in the sky, avocado trees and more. We found a reunion of four different type of personality. Daniel who always dream about strange people is a really kind man. He doesn’t like to hunt animals like his father, but a man who can let go of frogs. “I only remember the sea “ Hossi and Danial father both said about sea when they dead. When he saw the women from the camera, the Cotton-Candy Hair Woman, he had a weired dream about a crow. He found the camera in the hotel named Rainbow Hotel. Everything seems to start here. And the rainbow is just the product of the mapping of light, like the foreshadowing of the dreamer, but it is not real existence. The artist with Cotton-candy-Hair-Woman vivid shown Infront of the reader who filmed about her dream. The owner of that hotel who experience horrible memory but given his hotel a lovely name” Rainbow hotel” Together, these people are both ironic and realistic.

I like the words in this book very much. Although it feels logically contradictory, it can express the author’s meaning very directly. for example, Killing isn’t the same as dying just like Hitler and Gandhi both vegetarian, but they are not same. (The funny thing is that everyone is different, vegetarian or not, so I think it’s logical to say that, but I know what the author is trying to say.)

What they choose to do is unbelievable, to realize the dream, to study the machine of the dream, even in modern times, this seems to be an unbelievable behavior. But these people are working on it. However, reality is unavoidable. Daniel and his party were involved in politics, and their dreams and reality could not overlap, and could only have a rough ending. The Dreamer in the title of this novel seems to refer to people who love to dream, or to people who have dreams. I don’t know if they are the same. There are so many storylines in here that I get confused. Beyond the dream, readers saw the tragic reality of several young people going on hunger strike for their own ideas, and also saw different political ideas about Angola. I agree with finding that on page 66, Daniel’s view of the dream narrative “maybe nightmares help people to deal with traumatic memories besides, it does seem as though dreams help to make memories stick. Finally, they can help us find solutions to problems that are troubling us”

So do you think being a dreamer can really help?