Conclusions

After the experience of reading 13 books this semester, I feel that I have a new understanding of reading. This semester is a process. For the first few weeks, I was excited about the articles I was about to read and felt a constant ability to support myself towards them, but when the interest became an obligatory thing, I started to get a little tired. But luckily, I persevered. So much so that in the end, despite the tight schedule at the end of the semester, I enjoyed the motivation that reading gave me to think, to think about the characters in these books, to think about how these stories made me feel. Although I don’t fully understand what’s in it, I’m still quite shocked that JON recommended it to us because they are really wonderful.

Most of the literary works are from the 18th and 19th centuries, especially the works on the theme of war, which are in the majority. War, a product of politics and history, may bring to the world not only the scars, but also the ideas that are inspired by these tragedies. For example, the changes brought about by the war to the city, the changes in people’s living patterns, the breakdown of families, and the violence caused by the poverty brought about by the war, have all appeared in novels of different eras to some extent.

About women, about relationships between people, these are some sensitive topics that cannot be easily summarized. I think I have grown in this semester because of the power of reading. It has a subtle influence, even if as a reader it’s just a quick glance, it can still promote the way we think through words, which is really very precious.

For me, I prefer the two books “Bonjour Tristesse” and “My brilliant Friend” that I need to read this week, maybe because their language is easier for me to understand, maybe because I have had girls like that troubles.

Jon and the two TAs Jennifer and Patricio’s class mode is also very interesting and does not give me a very boring feeling. Every time I come to the classroom, I follow their rhythm to further think about the novel, and I can communicate with others to gain new insights.

I am very glad that I signed up for this course. Although the pressure is a bit heavy later on, I hope that I can keep this reading habit, which will be of great help to my future life.

1 thought on “Conclusions

1. I feel the same way! At times this course was pretty heavy especially when most of us are taking this out of requirement or pure curiosity. But with all that said, and all the work we’ve all done, I’m still glad I chose to take this course. I definitely learned a lot about reading and the way I read.