Review of My Brilliant Friend

The stories of these girls growing up are both familiar and unfamiliar. Maybe I haven’t experienced what happened to them, but the little thoughts of their girls seem to be the ones we’ve had. Girls feel anxious about their body changes during puberty and share secrets with their friends. Elana has a fatal attraction to the “me” in this book because she has a maverick personality. If she wants to do it, including learning, she can do it well. If she doesn’t want to do it, no one seems to be able to force her. This book is like “Old Gringo” in a way, from the point of view of one’s memory. This book is like “Old Gringo” in a way, from the point of view of one’s memory. The disappearance and concealment of Lila became the beginning of this book, taking us back to their girlhood, an era full of “violence” and “chaos”. Lila’s love of Little Women’s books seems to reflect her character. She emphasises her dignity and standards and changes her life through her own efforts. She does not think that she is unsuitable for her father’s job. She loves making shoes, dares to resist teachers, and expresses her own ideas. Lina stepped forward and put a knife to Marcheno’s neck, starting a friendship between the two girls. This also makes Elena’s feelings for Lina both worshipful and appreciative. Her father would throw her out the window to the point of breaking a bone, and her mother would use physical violence against her. Her life is gray; her father would throw her out of the window to the point of breaking a bone; her mother would use physical violence against her; she married early but also met a violent husband; she is still so strong, she chooses to live alone. Although this book describes the parallel lives of a pair of girlfriends, the energy it brings seems not only to reflect on the life experiences of the two women, but also to arouse the women’s self-awareness. When girls are still young and ignorant, they will criticise people and things around them, especially violence and injustice, and then gradually become the disdainful people they used to be when they grew up. But it also tells us that even if life is unsatisfactory, girls should not give up on themselves, give up hope, and give up their dreams. Lila’s aura was not only alluring, but dangerous. Do you wish you had a friend like Lina by your side? Or do you think you are Lina or Elena?

7 thoughts on “Review of My Brilliant Friend

1. Wow! I don’t think I expected to see any connections made to The Old Gringo, but I like it! And you have a great point…!

I also like what you have to say about the significance of Little Women for the young female character here. Are we perhaps called to examine not just the characters, but the book My Brilliant Friend in relation to Little Women?

1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for your comment. Somehow, it mentions me The Old Gringo. I think you are right. In this female-led novel, another novel related to women is mentioned, which could make readers think more

2. Hi Jennifer!“The stories of these girls growing up are both familiar and unfamiliar.”I think your opening sentence is very good. Much of Elena and Lila’s friendship is something we experience with our friends, so we feel familiar.

3. Hi Nier! I really liked what you said about Elena’s feelings for Lila being “both worshipful and appreciative” but I do think there is more to this relationship (as you elaborated on). I think these girls, as much as they love each other, also envy each other for certain aspects of the other’s life. I can’t say whether I identify with one character more than the other, I think they both have aspects that I do and don’t relate too.

4. Hi Nier, I never felt personal before with reading a blog post and your perspective on girls growing up has led me to see another side to all the events that take place in the novel. I like how you started off your blogpost as it is true that in friendships, we can never be too familiar with the people we are with and there are experiences that we don’t know about or even remember even if they may have happened to us.