Summer #5: 2 days in Seattle from the Eyes of a Vancouverite

Item #5 on my summer to do list is to take a short trip somewhere nearby.  I went to Seattle.  Why? Well, for one I’ve never been, and more importantly there is this awesome new bus company that sells super cheap tickets. It’s called Bolt Bus. Roundtrip, $15.

Bolt Bus drop off point in Seattle.

They have wifi! If you're lucky you can catch their $1 fares. Sounds sketch but it's not!

From the train station at Science World station, it drops off right outside Chinatown in Downtown Seattle within the free bus zone. (I love that free bus zone. Buses are free to ride in the downtown core!)

No offense Seattle, I’ve always imagined you to be a more boring, less ethnically diverse version of Vancouver. Did it turn out to be? Yes and no. Seattle is a lot like Vancouver but subtly amplified in little ways.  For instance, there are beautiful old buildings like in Gastown and plenty of hipster things around like galleries, thrift stores and cafes… just more. Was it more boring? I’d say it depends how into art you are but it felt less bustling, not that Vancouver is very bustling. Usually.

“What the heck was there to do in Seattle?” I heard that a lot when I came back. Here are some ways you can entertain yourself in Seattle for the weekend:

1.) Bill Speidel’s Underground Tour: Highly recommended and I don’t even like tours. I’d say it was the highlight of my weekend. The history of Seattle itself is hilarious. Lets just say they didn’t anticipate a lot of things. Major plus that the guides are great at telling the story. There is also the “Underworld Tour” which is an “adult version” of the Underground. Didn’t do it but I have high hopes for it given how interesting the one I did was. http://www.undergroundtour.com/

2.) On a Sunday, the Fremont Sunday Market: It’s a little street market selling some interesting snack foods and a whole lot of artsy knick-knacks. Jewellery, furniture, picture frames, lots of mainstream old vinyl. My friend bought a polaroid camera and I got an old teacup. If you like Etsy type stuff this is a nice place to go. Getting there >>

3.) Fremont Troll: If you’re going to the market you might as well go check out this cool sculpture on the way. See Wiki page.

4.) Speaking of sculptures, Olympic Sculpture Park: Nice place by the sea for a walk in the evening.  The art there is pretty and felt just abstract enough to casually enjoy. It is a few blocks west of the free bus zone. To be honest, all of Downtown Seattle is like a sculpture park. Even the bus stops have neat skylights.

5.) Find Bruce Lee’s Grave: It’s just a grave… OF BRUCE LEE. No, it’s really just a normal cemetery. The interesting part is taking the bus there and looking out the windows in awe of how much Seattle is like Vancouver. Especially the residential areas.

6.) Coffee shops and art galleries: Wander around and you’ll find them easily. Try Pioneer Square area. By art galleries I mean those stores that are selling art that look like galleries. No admissions fees and maybe get inspired… or just straight up confused.

7.) If you’re really bored and with another person, do the clock hunt: I was a little scared that Seattle would be incredibly boring so I challenged my travel buddy to a contest. Who can take the most pictures of analog clocks. A bunch of tourism sites said “Seattle is rich in street clocks.” The catch is that you have to take the pictures without your challenger taking the picture too. My clock count: 11. I was aiming for 40.

8.) For nightlife, try Shorty’s: A bar with pinball machines. Need I say more? Speaking of nightlife, it seems like it is always happy hour in some places. Look for happy hour specials in restaurants, it’s a very affordable way to eat.  http://www.yelp.ca/biz/shortys-seattle

Other things to check out: Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle, Nordstrom and other American things we don’t have. Just because we don’t have them. I didn’t see much special about the first Starbucks or Pike Place. Pike Place is really just Granville Island’s market but with more fish and flowers. About the museums in the Space Needle area, I didn’t go in so I can’t say if they’re worth it but the building structures are really cool! Local bands and exhibitions are aplenty, find a paper. Lastly, avoid the financial district on weekends. You look up and the really shiny skyscrapers draw you in but it’s really dead. It’s not Burrard.  I couldn’t even find an open Starbucks.

Downtown Seattle from afar.

Overall, Seattle is a city of nice walks lined with beautiful buildings and random art everywhere. Boy, do I mean everywhere. If you’re stuck in Vancouver this summer and just want to get out but have little time or little money (or both), Seattle is not a bad choice. Be prepared for hills.

4 thoughts on “Summer #5: 2 days in Seattle from the Eyes of a Vancouverite

1. I grew up between Seattle and Vancouver and can tell you that Seattle is by far a more interesting city than Vancouver! There is no quirk or charm in Vancouver these days, but I can’t imagine someone who likes the Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks can understand charm. Downtown Seattle and Pioneer Square are for tourists and weekday salarymen. Venture out to Capitol Hill and Ballard if you want to see how the city really lives. Unlike Vancouver, the residential neighborhoods are more vibrant than the downtown core.

2. @Tor Lindqvist: That’s a very interesting difference you pointed out in your last sentence. I guess I should explore more of the residential areas next time instead of just Fremont and the Volunteer Park area (of which I thought looked a lot like Vancouver’s Kerrisdale area.) As a car-less tourist though, it was easier to explore by foot in Downtown and there was enough to see. (And I don’t actually like Starbucks, I just gauge how lively areas are by them.) Thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

3. I plan to go to Seattle next week. The Bolt Bus is super helpful. Thanks a lot! hmm where did you stay overnight at? 🙂