Conforming to View Points

When looking at business ethics, I strongly believe in Freeman’s theory that corporations should attempt to align their views with consumers, producers, and most importantly, the worker. His opinion seems very sound to me and I was surprised to see how many stories I could find from last year that went against his idea. One article that I found in the Los Angeles Times that particularly astounded me was three business owning families of large companies (Hobby Lobby, Conestoga Wood, and Autocam) refusing to pay contraceptive coverage for their workers as it violated their free stance of religion. In order for a business to succeed, I have confidence that companies need to have workers who offer unique beliefs and ideas to the workplace. By a company enforcing one point of view, the worker loses his spark and individuality, becoming just another mindless drone. Looking further into the story, I was saddened to find that the companies won the Supreme Court case and were allowed to enforce their religious views. To be in a truly ethical business state, we need to be able to practice our freedom of conscience and religion without being penalised and deducted pay. Without originality, the economy would eventually reach a point of creative stagnation.