Observing the Benefits in Differentiation

As discussed in previous posts, differentiation can occur in many ways. However, the most effective way to differentiate instruction is to modify the content, process, and product. In my observations, I recently saw the use of differentiation by the alteration of a quiz. All 30 students were given a quiz on Thursday. By changing the content of the quiz for four students, they received an alternative quiz in which they could demonstrate their understanding. After giving students a good amount of time to complete their work, they were asked to hand it in. I took the opportunity to mark their quizzes and determine if the differentiation of the content was effective for those four students. From my observations, it was clear that the students that struggled to grasp the concept really appreciated the modified quiz. They received high B’s and A’s, which is a great motivation for the four of them. At the very end of the day, I handed back their quizzes and got to see the expressions of the four students (and the others in the classroom). Many, were ecstatic about their given mark. If the students that struggle grasping the concept were given the exact same quiz as their peers, they would have probably scored lower than a B, as demonstrated in previous assignments. However, by differentiating their quiz, they are able to show their understanding of the concept in an assignment that meets their needs. It would be unfair to provide all 30 students the same quiz, when not all of them are at the same level. Therefore, I am glad I received the opportunity to witness this, as it has provided me with insight on how to differentiate quizzes for those four students, and in addition, it has allowed me to see the benefits first hand in differentiating.