Track and Field

For the past month, several teacher candidates, including myself, have become involved in track and field. I worked specifically with grade 5 students in running events, long jump, and softball throw (a modification of shotput). This has been a great experience for me, as I wish to be involved in extracurricular activities throughout my teaching career. As a student, I was always involved in sports, and I would love that my teachers would take the time out of their days to help us pursue our passions and interests! Therefore, I hope to do the same for my students.

As a coach, I organized heats, recorded attendance, participation, and placements. It was an intense month, but today, it paid off! All of my wonderful grade 5 students made it to the District Track Meet. I was a judge at the finish line – therefore, I recorded students that came in first place. I was also responsible for handing out first place ribbons, which was such an honor! I felt so proud of all students, but especially mine (as I have built a strong connection with them). Regardless of their placement, I made time to congratulate their efforts. It was a fun day at the district track meet, and I have definitely become certain that  this is something I hope to do during my teaching career!

Practicum Experience!

As of tomorrow, I will be beginning my fourth week of my practicum. It has truly been a great learning experience. I have been able to apply my theoretical concepts from UBC to my practicum. However, the hands-on, practical experience which is not formally taught at UBC has been widely used in my practicum! It has been through this practical experience that I have been able to further my teacher presence, engage student learning, and meet the needs of diverse learners!

By incorporating technology, visual, hands-on, and auditory information in my lessons, I have been able to meet the needs of my learners. I have used technology in order to support learning, but also as a way to engage students. My students are growing up in a world in which technology is widely used. Unlike my childhood, students have access to computers, iPads, chromebooks, phones, and several other electronic devices. Therefore, by incorporating technology, I hope to increase student engagement. Furthermore, I have used several hands-on activities to meet the needs of learners. I have gotten my students to participate in a game of tug-of-war to learn combined forces, using jugs of water to determine capacity, experimenting with spring scales to learn forces, and measuring tape on the ground to determine the perimeter and area. Moreover, I have tried to include several modes of learning (kinetic, visual, auditory, tactile, etc.) to meet the needs or learners that engage best in such learning environment. I have also differentiated quizzes by including word banks for some students and differentiated assignments by including challenging questions for those that have already mastered the basic curriculum content.

As I continue on this journey in becoming a teacher, I hope to increase the role of differentiation within my classroom.

Synthesis

When I began my inquiry, I did not know much about differentiated instruction. However, through literature, reflections, and observations I can now spot differentiation inside a classroom, and recognize the benefits of it. My first several blog posts focused on reading peer reviewed journals to form an understanding of what differentiated instruction was. In fact, if you scroll down to the bottom of my blog, you will see a lot of definitions of differentiated instruction, and the role of process, product, and content. Later, I began reviewing other sources that suggested how to use differentiated instruction inside of the classroom. These strategies included grouping students based on interest or level. Furthermore, many sources demonstrated the importance of choice, and the role of tiered assignments. By learning about these concepts, and familiarizing myself with what each strategy means, I was able to begin recognizing differentiation inside of my practicum classroom. It was through ongoing reflections that I was able to recognize differentiation, and come up with a list of strategies for myself to incorporate during my 10-week practicum.

Through ongoing observations and reflections, I now have a new and deep understanding of differentiation. I am in no way an expert at what differentiation is. In fact, I am a student teacher that hopes to incorporate differentiated instruction in my practice, as I believe that this is the best way for students to achieve their true potential. I do not see the relevance in providing all 30 students with the exact same quiz/assignment, when 4 of the students are at a lower level, and many other students are above the grade 5 level. Additionally, I hope to use technology in order to differentiate my instruction. There are several strategies that I will implement, such as the use of email and PowerPoint to meet the needs of my students (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 87) Therefore, my goals as a student teacher will be to include several strategies of differentiated instruction. In doing so, I will be able to learn, first hand, what works, what does not work, and what I can improve on or change in my practice to meet the needs of my students.

To conclude, I wish to share a quote that I found during my inquiry research. “Every teacher who has entered a classroom has differentiated instruction in one way or another” (Levy, 2008, p. 162). However, not every teacher has gone above and beyond the everyday practice that entails differentiation. My research project has become a narrow focus on strategies to implement differentiation. Take a look at these strategies, read blogs and articles that highlight the key features of differentiation! These initial steps will broaden your perspective on differentiation. By opening your eyes to practices that meet the needs of diverse learners, you, in turn, will become a better teacher!

References:

Kara-Soteriou, J. (2009). Using technology to differentiate instruction across grade levels. Computers in the Classroom, 86-90.

Levy, H. M. (2008). Meeting the Needs of All Students through Differentiated Instruction: Helping Every Child Reach and Exceed Standards. Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Strategies, 81 (4), 161-164.

Differentiated Instruction Strategies for my 10-week Practicum

Since January, I was able to observe students on a weekly basis and learn many strategies on how to implement differentiated instruction. This past Thursday was my final visit before my long practicum, which begins at the end of March. On Thursday, I took the opportunity to discuss with my school advisor the strategies that I am hoping to implement. Some of these strategies include:

1. Giving students a deadline on when to complete their work. However, providing some students – those that are at a lower level – with additional time.
  2. I will be asking students to complete 3 large projects over the course of my 10-week practicum. Students will be provided with rubrics that meet THEIR needs. I will not provide students a general rubric, but instead, will personalize it for the students that are at a lower level, and even those that are at a higher level.
  3. In addition to providing students with various rubrics, I will also provide students with choice in what they wish to hand in. Therefore, not every final project will look the same.
  4. Although this one may be a bit tricky, I am hoping to have mini student conferences at least once or twice during the course of the 10-week practicum. This will allow me to better understand their needs, and make arrangements for students that are not yet meeting expectations.
  5. Differentiating quizzes! During my weekly visits, I observed 4 students that require personalized quizzes. Therefore, I will continue to do this during the 10 weeks at my practicum school. Some ways to differentiate it include: including word banks for fill-in-the-blank type questions, providing these students with different questions, and front-loading the students prior to the quiz!
  6. Make connections to the real world! By doing this, students will be able to find interest in the subject content.
  7. Use technology to meet the needs of diverse learners! I will incorporate the use of PowerPoint and other programs to engage students. Furthermore, I will allow students (and parents) to keep in contact with my via email to differentiate instruction. These emails may be extra resources/support that students may require.

Observing the Benefits in Differentiation

As discussed in previous posts, differentiation can occur in many ways. However, the most effective way to differentiate instruction is to modify the content, process, and product. In my observations, I recently saw the use of differentiation by the alteration of a quiz. All 30 students were given a quiz on Thursday. By changing the content of the quiz for four students, they received an alternative quiz in which they could demonstrate their understanding. After giving students a good amount of time to complete their work, they were asked to hand it in. I took the opportunity to mark their quizzes and determine if the differentiation of the content was effective for those four students. From my observations, it was clear that the students that struggled to grasp the concept really appreciated the modified quiz. They received high B’s and A’s, which is a great motivation for the four of them. At the very end of the day, I handed back their quizzes and got to see the expressions of the four students (and the others in the classroom). Many, were ecstatic about their given mark. If the students that struggle grasping the concept were given the exact same quiz as their peers, they would have probably scored lower than a B, as demonstrated in previous assignments. However, by differentiating their quiz, they are able to show their understanding of the concept in an assignment that meets their needs. It would be unfair to provide all 30 students the same quiz, when not all of them are at the same level. Therefore, I am glad I received the opportunity to witness this, as it has provided me with insight on how to differentiate quizzes for those four students, and in addition, it has allowed me to see the benefits first hand in differentiating.

Exploring Three Different Teaching Instructions

As part of our inquiry class, I was required to do a reading that explores three different teaching approaches. The reason I have chosen to write a blog on this article is because it begins to recognize the role of differentiation in the classroom, and how it may look when used in real life contexts – not just theories that we have been exploring in previous posts.

The article begins by exploring two instructional strategies, and the lack of differentiation in their classrooms. The first teaching strategy begins by exploring a teacher who has a strong passion for teaching in a lecture format. As a result of his style of teaching, students lack engagement. “Mr. Appleton likes to lecture and works hard to prepare his lectures” (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 2). By spending his time organizing such lectures and presentations, he rarely moves away from them. In fact, he hopes to get through his lessons, and by doing so, “does not notice or respond to student differences” (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 3). The second classroom has more classroom engagement and choice than Mr. Appleton’s classroom. Mrs. Baker provides students with 10 options to present their final projects on Rome, and she also takes on student suggestions (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 2). “Although Mrs. Baker succeeds to some degree with engagement, a clear sense of what students should understand as a result of their study is almost totally missing” (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 3). Both teachers are clearly hoping for their students to learn and meet their needs; unfortunately, their approaches lack differentiation. Therefore, the article presents an alternative teachings strategy that incorporates differentiation, engages students, and meets their needs.

Ms. Cassnell is the final teaching approach that the reader reviews. Her approach allows students to benefit and succeed from their schooling experience in several ways. Ms. Cassnell has topics planned for the year, but has not completed a concise day-to-day plan (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 4). In fact, she hopes to “understand her students and their needs more fully, [and then] she modifies her instructional framework and her instruction” (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 4). Throughout the school year, Ms. Cassnell works with her students in whole and small groups to develop skills that she has set as goals for her students (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 5). Her class is also learning about ancient Rome, and what separates her instruction from Mr. Appleton’s and Mrs. Baker’s is that she differentiates their projects and understanding of Rome to the students personal interests. “Readiness differentiation occurs because each student adds personal research and writing goals, often with the teacher’s help, to his or her criteria for success” (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 5). All of the teachers presented in the article allow the reader to compare and contrast instructional strategies that best meet the needs of students.

I found this article very useful, as it showed how teachers incorporate differentiation within their classroom. The previous blog posts have discussed what differentiation is, and how to use it. This article presents three different teaching approaches, and allows the reader to understand which best incorporates differentiated instruction. Ms. Cassnell’s class seems to be the most effective, as it includes engagement, and connection between student lives and subject content (Tomlinson, 1999, p. 6). I hope to incorporate differentiation during my practicum (which begins in exactly one month)! Therefore, it is important for me to begin moving past what differentiation is, as I have clearly understood the concept, and moving towards approaches in how to incorporate it into the classroom.

Reference:

Tomlinson, C. A. (1999). Mapping a Route Toward Differentiated Instruction. Educational Leadership, 57 (1), 1-8.

Annotated Bibliography

BCTF. (2015, June). Differentiated Instruction. Retrieved January 22, 2016, from BC Teacher’s Federation: https://bctf.ca/issues/resources.aspx?id=24271&printPage=true

This article, created by the BCTF, provides readers with a brief overview of differentiation. It is a general outline for teachers to begin to scratch the surface of what differentiation consists of. It begins by explaining what differentiation is. It then recognizes strategies that result in differentiation. Next, it explains what differentiation is not. For instance, differentiation is not creating IEPS for all students, or just about providing students with a choice. Furthermore, it explains how teachers may get started in using this instructional strategy. Begin by creating a small amount of lessons that include differentiation, and then gradually take on more. Collaboration with other teachers is also very useful when beginning this instructional strategy. Creating routines and a positive environment are also beneficial when beginning to differentiate.

Baecher, L., Artigliere, M., Patterson, D., & Spatzer, A. (2012). Differentiated instruction for English language learners as “variations on a theme”. Middle School Journal, 43 (3), 14-21.

This article allows the reader to recognize how teachers may use differentiation inside the classroom to teach ELL students. To begin, students come into the public school system with varying needs, strengths, and weaknesses. ELL students, in particular, are already struggling inside the classroom setting, as they are required to succeed in math, science, social studies, etc., all subjects that require the proficiency of the English language. Therefore, the author provides readers an opportunity to understand the role of differentiation, and how it may be applicable to ELL students. It also demonstrates how to differentiate the content, process, and product of a poetry lesson. This article allows readers to understand the role of differentiating instruction for ELL students and provides significant examples of how to implement such strategies.

Bray, B., & McClaskey, K. (2013, January 27). The Difference Between Differentiation And Personalized Learning. Retrieved March 11, 2016, from Teacher Thought: http://www.teachthought.com/learning/personalized-learning/the-difference-between-differentiation-and-personalized-learning/

This is a great resource for teachers who wish to learn the difference between differentiation and personalized learning. To begin, personalized learning is student centered. This means that students drive their own learning, they connect learning to their interests, they are responsible for what they learn, and they identify goals for their learning. In contrast, differentiated instruction is the process in which a teacher provides instruction to groups of students, and adjusts learning styles to meet the needs or learners. Furthermore, differentiation includes identifying goals for groups of learners that require more assistance, and creating instructions in a variety of ways for the different groups of learners.

Childress, S., & Benson, S. (2014). Personalized learning for every student every day. The Phi Delta Kappan, 33-38.

This is a great resource for teachers that wish to learn more about personalized learning. It provides a great definition of personalized learning and some strategies on how to incorporate it into one’s teaching practice. This resource also provides a case study of Summit Public Schools in San Jose, in which these areas – with students from low-income families – participated in a program to enter a 4-year college. To do so, these students and teachers were engaged in personalized and differentiation strategies to prepare students for their college experience.

Doubet, K. J. (2012). Formative assessment jump-starts a middle grades differentiation initiative. Middle School Journal, 32-38.

This is a great article for teachers to read. To begin, it alleviates the tension behind differentiation. As discussed in some blog posts, many teachers find meeting the needs of various learners a daunting task. However, this article provides an approach in which teachers are able to meet their needs in an efficient way. Furthermore, this article addresses the role of formative assessment to assure that learning standards are met when creating tiered assignments, choice, and interest-based projects.

Education, A. (2005). Differentiated Instruction. Elements of Effective Teaching Practice, 1-9.

This is a resource written by LearnAlberta.ca. It is helpful as it describes the meaning of differentiation and how to use it. However, the reason I have chosen this to be one of my resources is because it provides the reader with a list of strategies to implement inside their classroom. Some strategies include using a combination of whole, paired, and small group discussions and activities. Provide some students with extra time to complete their assignments and while allowing others to move on. Make time for mini-conferences with students – this is an opportunity to listen to the needs of students and respond to them individually. Finally, a strategy that I particularly found interesting was creating lessons that activate prior knowledge and allow students to make connections with what they already know. I am hoping to implement this last strategy in almost all of my lessons. I believe that if students can make a connection to the lesson and its role in the real world, they are more likely to grasp the concept and find it more engaging.

Jones, L. (2015, April 1). Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners: Six Differentiation Strategies for New Teachers. Retrieved March 11, 2016, from Teaching Channel: https://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2015/04/01/6-differentiation-strategies/

This resource provides new teachers, such as myself, to incorporate differentiation strategies that are easily achievable! When asking students questions during a lesson, be flexible in changing your discussion questions based on the student that gets chosen and his or her level. Allow students choice in expressing their final product. Furthermore, promote strategies inside the classroom so that all students get an equal opportunity to talk. Finally, differentiate the rubrics to meet the needs of all students.

Kara-Soteriou, J. (2009). Using technology to differentiate instruction across grade levels. Computers in the Classroom, 86-90.

Technology has become significantly reliable inside the classroom. Of course, it does not replace the teacher, but it supports learning, and in addition, may be utilized to differentiate instruction. According to Soteriou, there are six features of  technology that benefit differentiation. These six features provide the reader with an understanding of how to appropriately use technology to implement such strategies. Some strategies include communicating via email, using audio books, and creating PowerPoint presentations for whole and small group instruction. This is a powerful resource for those who are interested in the role of technology and the benefits of it when differentiating instruction.

Levy, H. M. (2008). Meeting the Needs of All Students through Differentiated Instruction: Helping Every Child Reach and Exceed Standards. Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Strategies, 81 (4), 161-164.

This article explains differentiation and how it may be used to meet government expectations and goals. It contains several headings in which the reader understandings in which ways they may differentiate. It explains the importance of differentiating content, process, and product. Furthermore, it contains information on assessment, and how pre-assessment, as well as both formative and summative assessments, may be used to determine a student’s ability and understanding. Finally, the article discusses the importance of grouping students. There are several ways a teacher may group students to meet their needs. These groups are based on student needs, interests, and learning styles. Holly Levy does a great job in explaining differentiation and how there are several ways in which students can reach and exceed government standards.

Parsons, S., Dodman, S., & Burrowbridge, S. (2013). Broadening the view of differentiated instruction. The Phi Delta Kappan, 38-42.

This article explains what occurs in the classroom when differentiation begins. In the classroom, problems may arise in the midst of a lesson. Therefore, this article recognizes the importance of being adaptive and flexible. Teachers must be willing to adapt to unanticipated issues that arise throughout lessons. For instance, if students do not understand the concept or activity, differentiation may occur when working with them in a small group to ensure comprehension. Although planning is crucial when using differentiation in the classroom, it is equally as important to be flexible. This article also addresses what attributes result in effective differentiation. These characteristics include ongoing assessments, knowledge of pedagogy and reflection.

Ontario, G. o. (2009). The Differentiated Instruction Scrapbook. Ontario’s Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy, 1-26.

This is a great resource for student teachers that wish to incorporate differentiated instruction during their long practicum. For myself, I have used this resource to understand multiple intelligences, strategies to incorporate differentiation, and to learn the key features of differentiated instruction. This resource provides examples on how to group students, how to provide them with tasks that meet their interests, and how to provide students with choice. Furthermore, it recommends strategies to better understand the students, their interests, and their needs. Finally, it includes a unit planner which can be used to design a unit while incorporating differentiation.

Taylor, B. (2015). Content, Process, and Product: Modeling Differentiated Instruction. Learning to Teach, 13-17.

This article focuses on differentiation at the university level. The teacher in the article differentiates her instruction, for students in the education program to understand first hand what this may look like in their own classroom. The teacher begins by placing university students in groups based on ability. Next, the teacher uses the method understanding by design (UbD), as a way for teacher candidates to experience differentiation. Content, process, and product are all described, and experienced by teacher candidates. The goal of this teacher in the article was for her students to experience this and have strategies in place when they get their own classroom. This article explains how this professor has prepared her students by creating instructional strategies within her secondary curriculum and instruction classroom.

Trinter, C., Brighton, C., & Moon, T. (2015). Designing Differentiated Mathematics Games. Gifted Child Today, 88-94.

This article focuses on the role of differentiated instruction when teaching math. This article allows readers to recognize the importance of mathematical games to support students with varying needs. By implementing games, and allowing primary students to actively engage in such lessons, they are able to draw on their creativity. Most games in mathematics do not allow for differentiation. Therefore, this article focuses on using differentiated strategies to modify traditional games.

This article is important as it allows the reader to explore three different teaching strategies. The first is heavily lecture based. Mr. Appleton’s approach lacks student engagement and creativity. The second approach engages students and respects student suggestions. However, Mrs. Baker’s classroom lacks criteria and understanding of subject content. The final approach allows the reader to understand the importance of differentiation. Ms. Cassnell incorporates differentiation, which allows readers to recognize how the students in this classroom, in comparison to the first two, are meeting their needs. This article is organized in a way that allows the reader to appreciate the role of differentiation, and in addition, understand how it has been used in a real-life setting, as opposed to the theoretical articles that I have been exploring in previous blog posts.

Servilio, K. (2009). You get to choose! motivating students to read through differentiated instruction. TEACHING Exceptional Children Plus, 2-10.

In this article, Kathryn Servilio demonstrates a 7-step program in which students are given choice in reading programs. The first step demonstrates that the needs of students and their learning styles must be met. The second step suggests that teachers must assess the students’ current abilities and achievements. The third step recommends choosing strategies for reading and reading comprehension that will be successful for that child. The fourth step takes into account the role of students with special needs, and how to differentiate their material. The fifth step is when teachers allow their students to choose from given options. Students will be provided a choice of activities that have been assigned to meet their needs. The sixth step is when the teacher begins assessing the students. Finally, the teacher evaluates the performance of the student and how they feel about the 7-step program.

Strategies to Differentiate

Differentiation is an instructional model used to meet the needs of students. Previous posts have discussed what it means to differentiate and how teachers may attempt this instructional strategy. As we already know, to differentiate learning, we must change the content, process, and product for students. However, in addition to this, we as educators can differentiate our instruction by creating groups. “[G]rouping should be based on different criteria regarding the needs of the students” (Levy, 2008, p. 163). A few ways to group students is by learning styles, interests, and learning ability.

According to Gardner’s multiple intelligences, or Dunn and Dunn’s learning styles model, educators can determine which learning style best suits an individual student (Levy, 2008, p. 163). By determining whether a student is a visual, kinesthetic, auditory, musical, logical, naturalistic, intrapersonal, or interpersonal, students may be placed accordingly. In some cases, students may be placed in a group in which other students have a similar learning style. This type of grouping will allow students to “work together for a common goal (Levy, 2008, p. 163). In other cases, students may be placed in a group where there are a variety of learning styles in one group. This type of grouping allows students to “learn form each other” (Levy, 2008, p. 163).

Another way to group students is by placing thing in their interest groups. Many students come into school with a varying degree of interests. In my observations, I have witnessed a range of interests, such as sports, Mine Craft, video games, reading, dancing, singing, and nature. Based on these interests, students may be broken into groups to work in completing a task.

Finally, teachers may place students in groups based on their needs. By knowing your students and by completing ongoing formative assessments, teachers may create groups based on student needs (Levy, 2008, p. 163). There are times when there are a small group of students that do not completely understand what is expected of them after the whole group instruction (Levy, 2008, p. 163). Therefore, by placing these students in groups, it is easier to attend to them after the whole group lesson. Furthermore, this strategy is also useful for students above the standard grade level. “The teacher can pull these students together and take the lesson to the next level through more challenging activities” (Levy, 2008, p. 163).

In my observations, I have seen students placed in groups based on their needs. There are several students in my practicum classroom that require educational assistance and support from resource workers. Therefore, by placing them in an area within the classroom, in which they are all nearby, it makes it much easier for the teacher and the students. The teacher is able to continue the lesson by exploring the questions that these students may have. In addition, these students are able to help each other by working together in solving their problems. Recently, I observed an activity, in which the whole class was broken into four large groups. One group contained students that are exceeding expectations. They were given a more challenging section of the textbook to read. This section was a little longer than the others and required more notes to be completed. Another group that was created contained the students that required educational assistance. They were taken outside, alongside the EA, to complete their task. By grouping the students in such a way, the educator(s) were able to assist them more efficiently. Furthermore, the students were able to work effectively with each other.

Reference:

Using Technology to Differentiate Instruction

As stated in previous blog posts, I highly encourage the use of differentiated instruction within the classroom. It is an opportunity for students to learn in a way that meets their needs. Although many instructional strategies have been put in place for teachers to begin implementing differentiated instruction, I will focus on the use of technology and how it benefits and supports differentiation.

Technology has become increasingly present throughout schools within the Lower Mainland. Amy Benjamin highlights several features in which technology supports differentiated instruction including privacy, collaboration and communication skills, organization, learning styles, choices, and authentic learning (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 86). “Technology affords the privacy that is required in order to support self-esteem” (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 86). By using tools such as clickers, students are able to represent their understanding anonymously to their peers, and gain feedback from their instructor. Furthermore, by signing students up for emails, they are able to communicate their progress electronically. “Email communication allows teachers to offer differentiated instruction without embarrassing the students” (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 87). In the Delta School District, students have been provided Gmail accounts up until grade 12. Similarly, students in the Surrey School District have access to Fresh Grade, which is an online resource that supports student learning and progress. Other technologies allow students to become more organized, which in turn allow teachers to “implement differentiated instruction without having to do the organizational work” (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 87). Additionally, technology provides a wide range of learning styles for students to meet their needs. Technology may be used for visual, auditory, kinetic, and many other forms of learning styles. A lot of the new curriculum is based on the idea of student interest. Therefore, technology is highly beneficial as it provides students with choice. The final feature of technology that supports differentiated instruction is authentic learning. “Internet sites support authentic learning and constructivist instruction, which are important aspects of differentiated instruction” (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 87). By keeping all features in mind, teachers may integrate technology into their classroom to support differentiation.

It is important for teachers to understand ways in which technology may be utilized to support differentiated instruction. According to Julia Kara-Soteriou, technology such as clickers, and other classroom response systems are highly beneficial. These systems allow teachers to receive responses from students in which they feel comfortable sharing, as their answers are not exposed to their peers. In addition to these types of systems, the teachers are able to review their answers and modify their teaching based on the results (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 86). Email servers are also highly beneficial, as discussed above, to support differentiated instruction. I never considered this a resource that may be used to differentiate instruction. However, looking back at my undergraduate program, and even my time thus far in the BEd program, I have used email as a way to contact my instructors to receive additional support for particular assignments. Similarly, elementary and highschool teachers should offer such support for students who require differentiation. Other technologies, such as PowerPoint may be used to differentiate instruction. “Teachers can employ PowerPoint presentations for whole class instruction, as well as for small group and individual instruction, with the objective to teach the same concepts through the differentiation of the content of instruction” (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 87). Other resources include audio books, literature cyber lessons, WebQuests, software’s with customized programs, and word processing software’s (Kara-Soteriou, 2009, p. 90).

For those that are in favor of differentiating their instruction, I encourage using technology, a tool that is becoming more prevalent throughout classrooms, to support differentiation. Reviewing the technologies listed above, and by adapting them to fit the needs of your students, differentiation may become achievable within your classroom.

Reference: