Post-Secondary Ramblings

Five Things I Must Do Next Year

with 2 comments

Living in Vancouver all my life, and having friends that were attending UBC before I was, I was fortunate to hear much about what went on and what happened as a UBC student. I was excited and had a mental list of things that I wanted to try out once I went to UBC. Unfortunately, due to various reasons, I wasn’t able to try all the things. To make sure that I participate next year, I’m going to jot them down.

1. Form a team for Day of the Long Boat. The athlete inside me was really looking forward to this, but I had too much going on in the beginning of the school year that I missed the deadline for registration. I’m sure it was a lot of fun and I’m definitely not going to miss out on it again next year.

2. Participate in Storm the Wall, possibly even as Ironwoman. The other major event is Storm the Wall, which is actually happening now. I was really disappointed because none of my friends wanted to participate with me, and the teams that I found all disbanded eventually, thus leaving me with no team. Walking by the walls every day at school made me really sad because I wanted to participate in this even more after I missed Long Boat. Next year, I’m going to make sure I’m part of this even, even if it means doing the whole thing myself as Ironwoman.

3. Bike to School (or maybe just home from school). I live about an hour bus ride away from campus, and it’s always been one of my goals to bike across the city to UBC during high school even. I was quite excited seeing the sunny days and thinking of the perfect time to accomplish this goal. Unfortunately, my bike is under repairs at the moment and thus this was never done. Biking to campus will have to be done some time next year because I’m sure it’ll be memorable for me. Even if it’s just biking back home from a long day at school.

4. Go out of my way to meet new people. I went into university with a bunch of my high school friends, and just friends overall from my life in Vancouver. Being in Science, there weren’t many chances for me to meet many people since I would sit with my friends during lecture and didn’t have many group projects. It wasn’t so bad for me since I was involved with UBC REC and a few clubs. I was still disappointed though, as I thought that going into a larger community would mean that I would have the opportunity to meet a lot of people.

5. Stream a Canucks game over a lecture hall projector. I’ve watched a Canucks game in the SUB. I’ve watched a Canucks game on my laptop. I’ve watched a Canucks game hooked up to a projector in a Buchanan classroom, but I haven’t done it in a lecture hall before. This might be a bit challenging as I’d have to find an empty lecture hall, but it shouldn’t be that big of a problem since there shouldn’t be classes at 7 anyway. I would imagine it to be pretty exciting and a neat experience. Hopefully there’ll be an NHL next year and I’ll be able to accomplish this too!

Written by Renee

March 27th, 2011 at 11:57 am

Posted in Uncategorized

2 Responses to 'Five Things I Must Do Next Year'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Five Things I Must Do Next Year'.

1. I couldn’t find a team for Storm the Wall either D: Let’s form a group for next year!

michelle

27 Mar 11 at 9:21 pm

2. If you manage to accomplish #5 for the playoffs, invite me!!

Miriam

28 Mar 11 at 8:52 pm