“Mad Toy” by Roberto Arlt

This novel was much easier to read than “Combray” and it was also more entertaining. I really enjoyed the structure of this book and how it was broken into distinct parts. I loved seeing the different stages of Silvio’s life. Right from the start I was very intrigued by Silvio’s fascination with bandits and theft. I found it interesting that our first introduction to the main character was to see him as a thief. In my opinion, a big part of enjoying a book is being able to relate to the characters. Which begs the question: Wouldn’t making Silvio a thief make readers hate the narrator? So why introduce him as such?

One of my favourite quotes from the first part was: “We basked in the knowledge that, had our deeds been known, we would have been hauled before a judge” (36). I think that this quote really showed Silvio’s youth because him saying that shows that he has nothing to lose. He is to young to realize that his actions can have serious consequences.

In chapter 2, when Silvio’s mother was telling him that he needs to get a job, I thought that this really showed how much a mother cares about her son. She was pleading him to get a job because she wanted a good future for him. Then, after Silvio got kicked out of the army for being too smart and attempted to kill himself, it was really heartbreaking seeing his mother react to his actions. His mother did not care about the fact that he is no longer in the army, she would’ve welcomed him back home regardless. I think this was a devastating scene because had Silvio understood the love his mother has for him, he would’ve never wanted to die.

A quote that really stood out to me throughout the whole novel was: “So that’s life, always complaining about what was”. I thought about this quote for a long time, and how true these words are. People love complaining. So much so that we often don’t realize how often we complain. In the novel, life was a huge theme. We see Silvio have many jobs, complain about them and then move on. We see him searching for his identity as the world around his shifts and evolves. I loved being able to see what was going on in his head. When Silvio was thinking to himself, those were my favourite parts. The questions he asked himself and the conversations he had with himself were very compelling to read.

My question this week is why do you think Silvio betrayed Rengo? Silvio used to find joy in theft, so why the sudden change of heart?

4 thoughts on ““Mad Toy” by Roberto Arlt

1. Xinrui Wang

Hi, Nini. Thanks for your sharing. I think Silvio took pleasure in stealing at first because he thought he would not be discovered, but they were almost discovered when they robbed the library, so he was scared and he didn’t dare to continue. When I read the first part of the novel, I really disliked Silvio and his friends going to steal, but I think the author wrote this to reflect the life of the people at the bottom in the most realistic way. Although Silvio is the protagonist, he is not It means that he is pure and flawless.

2. Jennifer Li

Hi Nini! I also liked the conversations Silvio had with himself as it showed his vulnerability in moments where he suffered so much pain and humiliation. About Silvio betraying Rengo, I think he was just tired of stealing and trying to make quick money. After his time with Don Gaetano, it seemed like Silvio didn’t want to live a life where money controlled his happiness, as he had lost so much of his dignity in doing so.

3. Ruby Dyck Steinmann

Hey Nini. I appreciate the quotes that you shared. I think that it is interesting to get a glimpse into Silvio’s head and see his own existential crises. Silvio might have betrayed Rengo because he began to realize that he no longer wanted a life of rebellion against the law. He may think that it is his turn to enter into a grown and mature way of life that adheres to normal society.

4. Tesi

Nini, I am glad to hear you found it easier and more entretaining. Good job in picking out how the author uses structure to mimic the different stages in the life of the character. You pose a very goof question in asking why introduce him like a thief when he clearly is much more complex than that.

Thanks for your comment!