For PhD applicants

If you are applying to the PhD in Educational Studies and want to know if I could serve as your supervisor:

Please email me only if you have looked into my areas of expertise and interest and there is a strong connection. I will no longer respond to generic emails that have obviously been sent to many people and that show no connection to my work. “I have an MBA and have been teaching English abroad for three years. Will you be my supervisor?” (Answer: No.)

If you would like me to let you know if I could serve as your PhD supervisor (if you are admitted to the program), send me your “Statement of Intent.” In this document (800-1,200 words), describe the kind of research you intend to undertake for your PhD, how it builds on your MA thesis and/or work experience, and why it is a good fit with the PhD in Educational Studies. Provide more than just a topic; it needs be clear you have thought about the kind of dissertation research you want to do, and that you have the background to do it.

Flattery will not get you admitted. Please don’t write that UBC is such a “world class university” or that you think I am such an “excellent” scholar. None of this will help your application.

Please know that the PhD in Educational Studies has become very competitive (only 10-15% of applicants are admitted), because we are allowed to admit students only if we can provide funding for them (or if you have an external scholarship), and our funds are limited. In addition, admissions are done by our PhD Admissions Committee and finding a supervisor is no guarantee of admission to the program.

I am sorry if this sounds grumpy. I love supervising graduate students, but am tired of responding to a growing number of emails about supervision that have little or nothing to do with my areas of expertise or interest. If you have a strong background and a dissertation research interest that truly connects with my work, I look forward to hearing from you.