Mar 23 / Sam Gregory

Packaging: It really does matter

Hey Y’all

Today, I’m going to talk about a topic we covered in class at the beginning of the month, PACKAGING!! Being a consumer who rarely has the time to research about products (unless they are on my wish list), I tend to rely upon factors other than the brand name to make my purchases. To me packaging plays a vital role in the decision making process, and on a daily basis I purchase products that have cool packaging. For example, below are two bottles of shampoo:

On the left, we have Herbal Essences shampoo, which uses vibrant colours, cool imaging and an ergonomic shaped bottle to set it apart from its competitors. And below, we have Anvie, which has a plain white boring looking bottle, with little colour and not a lot of ‘wow’ appeal. There are obviously certain aspects that you would look for a product to fulfill. In this case it would be to wash your hair and give a lasting cleanliness. If you have not used the product before you would either ask for a friend’s recommendation or make a decision based upon the packaging. I know which one I would rather buy based upon the ones above!! Often the packaging reflects what the marketer was trying to target when designing the packaging. For example, if you were looking to target younger, hip women I would buy the colourful bottle. If I was an older, more classical consumer (my Nan) I would probably purchase the white bottle.

So my golden piece of advice, if you have no idea which product to choose when making an impulse buy get the one with the most appealing packaging, it will rarely disappoint.