Why iPhones are always the next big thing

Posted by in Innovation, Marketing

Apple iPhone 6

I first used the original iPhone in grade 7. I’m loving my iPhone 5. And I’m going to love the iPhone 6. The question to ask here is: just how much do I—and you—need the iPhone 6? Here are a few thoughts I took into consideration.

I don’t need it, I want it. When I opened iPhone 6’s homepage, this phrase caught my attention: “it’s better in every way”. Yes, it has a smooth metal surface and a new Retina HD display. And yes, the iPhone 6 is “a new generation of iPhone that’s better by any measure”. But it doesn’t take the brightest bunch to realize that, because why would Apple release the iPhone 6 if it were not better than the iPhone 5S?

Don’t overestimate the power of images. Apple has been known for designing hardwares that have clean and simple aesthetics. More importantly, Apple is good at producing marketing shots. Thus, creating a powerful visual experience for viewers. This means that iPhone 6’s design may not be as smooth as it looks online. The result of Apple’s impressive online marketing strategy is demand—a record 4 million preorders—outstripping supply within 24 hours of its release.

Remember Apple’s urgency to innovate. Release of the new iPhone must be coupled with a forward-looking strategic plan. The introduction of the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 Plus is a direct result of Apple competitors’ selling smartphones with larger screens.

Apple promised that “every detail was carefully considered to enhance your experience”. Good. That’s not for us to do, but Apple has definitely convinced us that the iPhone 6—like every other previous releases—is the next big thing.

Read more on Apple’s marketing shots of the iPhone 6 here. It appears that Apple used clever lighting and product placement to hide the bulging camera lens.