A9: Smell Notes | Vicky Cen

In class exercise

I wanted to create a language system to describe smells. I did research on the primary odours that people can smell and differentiate easily. I disagreed to some of the descriptive words so I changed them. Just like a clock, the hour hand points the dominant odour and the minute hand points to the minor odour. This is a rough version of the smell clock. There could be more obvious smells and a second hand on the clock. The reason for creating this clock-like system is that odours are often complicated because there are a mix of different smells. This system tells the strong and weak smells. Also, the smell description is clear and accurate. For example, the smell could be ‘really fruity’, ‘minty-fruity’ or ‘fruity-floral’.

Assignment 9

Back alleys are always associated with bad smells. I wanted to visualize what brings that bad smell and how strong the smells are. I highlighted the sources of smell. The dispersed wave shows the intensity of the smell from each source. Some strong smells are garbage bins, carbon dioxide from the vehicle, and the general moist/moldy smell at the alley. It is interesting to find that the smell of vehicle is stronger than chemical smell from the new building in construction, and it diffuses to a long distance

A9: Smell Notes

Berend Kessler

last night in colour…
last night in collage…
smelling the wind and the sun?
alley walk…in progress

A8 – Sound – Josh Fender

For this assignment I went out into my backyard at night and listened. Compared to the daytime sounds I noticed that most noise was indistinguishable.

Night time sound observations sketch
Day time sound observations sketch

A8 – Remi

I looked at a variety of sounds in my space, and examined the intensity in relation to its proximity, frequency and pattern.

Distant busy road creates a monotone low hum
Small road nearby, I’m able to decipher individual cars passing by.
The crows were awake and active!
The canal nearby created a small high pitch crashing of waves
On site mapping sketch

A9- Smell Notes

Katie Hunks

In Class Assignment

Depicting the smell and associated experience of hot chocolate.

Scent Mapping

Mapping different scents observed along my walking route. The radius of each yellow circle represents how strongly I was able to perceive the scent.
Depicting what I felt to be the ideal path based on the scents observed.
Comparing the ideal path with the initial path.