A4 – Chris Rothery – Analyzing Sound

From the in class exercise:

Before leaving home I spent some time thinking about the representation of sound waves. I really liked the mapping shown in class (by laureen I think?) for sound, but as the child of an audio engineer – who was reading the audio waveform of their own voice on old school analog oscilloscopes at the age of like 6 or something: I had to think about sound as a wafevorm, with its amplitude and directionality, bouncing off of hard surfaces. So drawing it here was my first experiment with that form of linework.

When I got into the nest, I noticed a big sign by the door I was by with axonometric floorplans for wayfinding. I took this as a convenience and as inspiration for the format of my drawing. This process work focused on getting the floorplans about right and analyzing sources and direction of sound.

From the top floor, looking down on the suspended classroom – which is the part of the Nest that I actually always assume inspired the name “nest” – I decided to try a 2d perspective plan view, because it kind of felt like the natural drawing to try this in.

ultimately, the final stacked axonometric felt the most satisfying though.

I also wanted to retouch the globe drawing from the beaty biodiversity museum as suggested. I tried the digital drawing process here. I have mostly good feelings about the result.