Mobile in the Stone Ages

My friend had his newly bought iPhone4 out and had a song playing on his speakers when I pulled out my imported Japanese phone. I played the same song, but it was twice as loud. This puzzled us, because 1. my phone is an older model and 2. it’s the most basic line of phone in Japan.

My Phone

Did you know Canada released a 3G network a full 4 years after Japan?

When buying cellphones, we severely lack choices. Look at the comparison between Samsung Canada and Samsung Korea:

Canada

Korea

And the 2011 line of cell phones from Docomo in Japan:

Not only are we years behind in cell phone technology and limited in choice, we also pay the most on average per month for it!

While there have been some new entrants to the Canadian market, they have yet to make a significant impact (such as Wind Mobile with approximately 140, 000 subscribers) and still charge approximately $40 a month.

I want to see a company with innovative, ground breaking technologies that could compete in the Asian markets, and prices that even our exchange students won’t wince at.

It’s a market of 23.9 million with room to grow, and I’m tired of being years behind; can’t someone jump on this?