It’s the Brand: Apple

So I’ve tried Apple products, and over time have failed to see the hype over them. I’ve always felt that Apple has just done a great job tapping into the market and using hype to further their brand. That is why when I see all the articles of Apple suing other companies left right and center over the smallest copyright infringement, I feel as if I could be correct.

Here are some articles on the trademark war that Apple has started:

If one was to objectively step back and look at Apple products, there is nothing really special about them. There’s a few software applications, sure, but specs-wise Apple is by far lacking. For example the 15″ MacBook Pro comes with an 2.2GHz i7 Processor, 4GB of RAM, and 500GB hard drive. How much will it cost you? $1849 straight from Apple.

A PC (Acer) with the same processor but with 6GB of RAM, and 750GB hard drive will only cost you $699.

Okay, but there’s the software you say. I am a bit of a techie, so I like games and having a bunch of applications, a bunch of which will not run on Apple, or I will have to wait for an Apple version for. “But you can run Windows on Apple”, yes, but why would I want to pay more than twice the price for a machine that has less specs and runs the same thing? If I don’t want my PC for games, then I just want it to run internet and Office, which is does perfectly fine.

So then why do people buy Apple? Because it is perceived as a great product, there’s a lot of hype, and they have some how managed to make people believe that a few software “innovations” are worth the price. After being able to differentiate their brand, Apple now has clouded peoples eyes into believing everything is “innovative” without the mass questioning it. The reality is that their products are often sub-par and behind (see: http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012010/ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg) but somehow their branding and marketing power has won over the general public.

So the reason I think Apple feels the need to defends itself on so many fronts is because it’s their brand and marketing that allows them to flourish. Even the smallest infringement, such as a keyboard interface or their iconic “Apple” logo, takes away any small advantage that Apple has, and will force them to lower their prices.

What Apple needs to realize is that is the trend of the industry that they are in, and that controlling the market in this dictatorship style is so 1990’s Microsoft. If they want to survive, Apple will need to continue innovating and moving forward, rather than worrying about people catching up.

Here is a Samsung ad poking fun at the whole “lacking specs and software” issue:

And another “real life” proof where Apple has failed:

3 responses to “It’s the Brand: Apple