Budweiser’s Poor Ad Placement

In response to Matthew Ho’s blog post about the Budweiser commercial aired during the Super Bowl.

As a hockey player myself, currently playing in the UBC Rec hockey league, I thought the entire ad was very heartwarming. Any amateur sports player has dreamed about playing pro, or at least what it would be like to play the “big game”. Seeing the players reactions to the fans pouring in was just priceless, and my heart just welled up into a pile of goo.

And while I feel many sports players could relate to this, I was surprised they aired a hockey ad during the Super Bowl. Are there people who play hockey and watch football? Yes. But after talking to many people and seeing posts on the internet, it seems like it’s not nearly as popular in Canada as it would be in the States.

I feel that an ad of this scale should have been saved and previewed on a much bigger event for Canadians, like the Stanley Cup final.

I personally know how big the beer-hockey link is (as a goalie, I practically get paid in beers. Every post-game, even drop in scrimmages, are finished with a can of beer) so I just felt that some how Budweiser could waited a little bit more. In fact, the impact was so small I hadn’t even heard of it until I saw it on Matthew’s post.

I am however, thankful to Budweiser for giving those two teams that opportunity, an event that will only happen once in a lifetime.

One response to “Budweiser’s Poor Ad Placement