Week 2: What’s happening at home?

My inquiry is heavily focused on culture. Culture could with be related to the cultural background of a student or the home environment.

There is a student in my class who is going through a major shift in the home environment.  She has been an only child for ten years, but now she has new born twins as siblings.

She has been away from the class more than normal, thus, difficult to assess how she is coping with the change. The times I have sen her in the class her behaviour does not line up with the type of student she is. At times her reactions to situations are surprising. Her engagement in the class is very limited. She is seeking attention but all in the wrong ways.

As an educator, how do I support this student? Do I address my concern with the parents? Am I overthinking or over analyzing the student’s behaviour? How can I help?

The student as been aware that her mom has been expecting for the last nine months. Was that not enough time to adjust?

I can not help but think if this is a phase or a factor that will take a toll on her academic success.

Read 1 comment

1. You have described a young girl who has to make a very big adjustment to home. It is likely that there will be an effect on home, school and social relationships for awhile. Change is so difficult for many of us and having two new siblings when before there was only her, is a major one! Being there for her as a support in the classroom, asking her how things are going, and letting her know she can talk openly to you could be very helpful!