Week Three: Do I need to reword my question?

My inquiry is analyzing the academic success of a student. However, now I feel I should rethink my inquiry or maybe even expand the question.

I am coaching the grade seven basketball team. In our first meeting we discussed the wardrobe expectations of the team. They were told that they were expected to wear shorts, which had to be mid thigh. One of the girls asked if there was an exception for her as she does not wear shorts. The other coach discussed that concern with her in private.

I could not help but think how that girls was feeling while addressing the question in front of everyone.I come from a strict family. My wardrobe was approved by my dad. The clothes I wore had to be a specific length. I aways felt uncomfortable when I was the odd girl out at a dance who was not wearing a dress. I wonder if that will motivate the girl to come back or never return again? If she does come back will this impact her performance?

The success I am wanting to measure in my inquiry should I change it from academic success to success in general? There are so many factors to take into consideration.

Read 1 comment

1. Cultural expectations can be very different for students and the discrepancy between home and school sometimes hard to navigate. It took courage for the young girl to ask the question in front of her peers. It is great that she was able to self advocate and hopefully have a positive result from doing so.
    Inquiry is definitely an area that opens up and challenges our thoughts and brings new questions. It is fine to change and rework your question as you open to new ideas and learning. Inquiry is generally not linear and can branch into so many attached areas.