Third Week of the Long Practicum

This week I was really trying to get my students to ask questions to help with their learning.  It has been a struggle. It seems as though the students are so worried about being right or wrong instead of exploring what they want to know. Instead of having the students come up with question I have created the question for the students.

For my social studies unit I created a big question that we as a class will be answering. In order to answer the big question we need to answer smaller questions for better understanding and making connections that students can relate to.

When the lesson was being taught and the questions were introduced I could sense the anxiety in the classroom. The students were not able to answer the question right away hence the panic. I had to explain to the class that these questions are going to be answered together. Each student is not expected to answer the question on their own. I had to emphasize this is a journey that we as a class will go on!

I have a goal in mind. I hope this inquiry method helps my students to make the connections and learn.

Read 1 comment

1. It is great that you recognize the anxiety of your students. Sometimes having them talk to their table partner can help alleviate the stress of answering in front of the whole group. As your unit progresses the students will hopefully have questions that they want to answer.