Sixth Week of Long Practicum

My social studies unit is on Aboriginal content. I am covering treaties, fur trade, residential schools, treaties, Indian Act and concept of colonization. In the beginning I was very nervous to take on such content as I am learning everything myself. This content is not easy to digest for an adult, how was I going to teach this to my students. As I created my road map for social studies I slowly learned to simply and filter details. I did not want to the students to feel guilty for what was happening, however I did want them to make an emotional connection.

This week was part two to the residential school lesson. I had decided to show them the Shi-Shi-Etko video to my class and simply do a reflection journal entry. After the video, two of my students started to cry. I was taken by surprise.

At that moment I realized I had to change the mood of the class. I had to redirect the class. As a class we had to discuss what could the possible positive outcomes of residential schools. I did not want to go in that direction, but, I did not know what else to do. A couple of my students started the conversation that what if an Aboriginal student did not want to become a fisherman or a hunter, instead they wanted to be a blacksmith man. I just grabbed on to that idea and went with it. I glad my student could empathize, however, I could not bare to see them cry. I guess this is all a part of learning.

Read 1 comment

1. It is very difficult to touch on sensitive topics and be sure that students are not overwhelmed by them. It is important to debrief, particularly with your very sensitive students, helping them to realize that they are not responsible but can help to make a better world by being the best they can be themselves.