Fifth Week of Long Practicum

I do not know if I have mentioned this before, but I am teaching a grade 4/5 split. I have six grade 4 boys in my class. For the most part teaching a split has not been too difficult because one grade always seems to be an extension of the other.

However, in science this is not the case. The grade 5 students need to learn about the human biology: circulatory system, respiratory system, and so on, whereas the grade 4 students need to learn about the five senses and how animals fives senses adapt to their environment to survive.

I was so scared to take this day on. But, to my surprise it was a huge SUCCESS!

I started off with the grade four doing a brain check in while I started the grade 5 lesson with a hook for the respiratory system. Once the I got the grade 5 students started on an “I wonder quest…” I went back to the grade 4 students to start their lesson. I could go on and on about how I had independent work, collaborative work, brain breaks throughout the day. The best part was the class was understanding what I was trying to teach them.

Throughout the day I had to make sure all the students were in some shape engaged. There was times where I had to switch things around last minute, but, everything seemed to flow. The kids left the class content, not overwhelmed and happy.

This totally made my day. Days like this is what I look forward too.

Read 1 comment