Driving Electric

Look at that cool Lotus sports car! Wait, that’s a hybrid?

Link to flickr photo of Lotus Evora.
Lotus Evora by Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. Photo from flickr.

That was my reaction when I saw the “green” Lotus Evora 414E on its test drive.

This car has an impressive power and acceleration for a hybrid car. Each year, car makers are developing more higher-performance electric cars, but existing large, heavy-weight motors do not suit more compact sports cars. Lotus shows prospect for a very lightweight engine that enables 1000 Nm of torque and a 0-60mph time of 4 seconds with emissions of just 55g/km CO2. Compare this to the original version of Evora with a 0-60mph of 5 seconds and emissions of 217g/km.

I’m a passenger of a car almost every day for my work commute. I’m also a car enthusiast. Especially appealing are the ones that show off their speed and streamlined bodies. However, I do recognize cars are a key source of carbon emissions, a leading cause of greenhouse gases. How can I have the fun of driving a sports car and still not be harmful to the environment?

The Evora 414E is at an experimental stage, but it proposes a technology that allows more than a 50% reduction in carbon emissions while getting thrust power and looks of a conventional sports car. You can see the most recent model and developments in The Guardian and Green Car Guide.

(This article was published in December 2012 on At this time the news magazine and Community of Accounting and Business Professionals blog)

October 13, 2013Permalink Leave a comment