301 Sydney Storie Application Letter

3215 Highway 3

Rock Creek, BC V0H 1Y0

May 20, 2020

English 301 98A Technical Writing

University of British Columbia

Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear Class of English 301 98A Technical Writing:

I am writing to all of you today to apply for a position to become a team member on a technical writing team. I am a fourth-year university student pursuing a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a Major in Psychology at the University of British Columbia Okanagan.

While pursuing my educational career at UBCO, I have had the pleasure to participate in a year-long Go Global Exchange in 2019 to the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. Participating in a University exchange has led me to adapt to a new way of living and the experiences of a different culture. I learned how to maintain a well-balanced lifestyle between academic achievement, traveling, physical activity, and every day living. I adapted to a unique learning system where I studied at UNSW on a trimester basis. I attended not only lectures but also tutorials for each class daily. During my third trimester at UNSW, I completed a special topic Psychology class in Language and Cognition.  I learned about the root system of words. I studied, participated in research experiments, and wrote papers on semantic categorization and orthography.

Having a passion for traveling, I have lived in Canada, Brazil, and Australia. To date, I have traveled to twenty-six countries and I can fluently speak English, Portuguese and intermediate Spanish. When I am not studying or working, I will most likely be traveling looking for my next adventure. I was offered a seat at the University of California Berkeley for summer school, however, due to COVID-19, the program was unfortunately canceled. In the foreseeable future I will either be attending UC Berkeley, Olds College, or the University of Queensland in Australia for veterinary medicine, all of which I have been accepted.

I have been a dedicated employee to my employers; I currently hold two part-time jobs while volunteering from time to time at a veterinary clinic near my hometown all while maintaining high academic achievements throughout the final semester of my degree at UBCO. I am currently working part-time at a Pharmacy; I have been working at this location for about 6 years now. I developed professional and ethical communication skills with clients regarding their prescription pills, I discuss antibiotics and non-over the counter supplies such as vitamins, first aid, etc. My second part-time job is at a Professional Golf Course in Kelowna. I am also employed as a part-time research assistant for the Education and Pedology faculty at UBC. Combined, these jobs and my volunteering has led me to develop professional oral skills and written skills.

Altogether, I am known to be a strong, dedicated team member in professional and educational settings. I have educational achievements from three top universities; Thompson Rivers University, The University of British Columbia, and The University of New South Wales. I have taken multiple online courses before with both TRU and UBC, I am confident in providing advantages to this learning hub while others may be struggling to adapt to the transition from in-person to online classes.

I look forward to becoming a team member with one of the writing teams associated with English 301. I look forward to developing new skills from others while also offering techniques that I have learned from the past. After reading this, I hope you find some similar, yet different skills and professional/ career avenues that will be an interest to your team.  I consider myself to be an asset to any team, while each team member will be an asset to me. If you are interested in joining teams, please contact me at s.storie@alumni.ubc. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Sydney Storie

301 Sydney Storie Application Letter