Home

Page

Welcome to my blog.

This summer I have registered in English Technical Writing with the University of British Colombia. I am pleased to share with you the learning opportunities this online course offers.

Students taking this class will be developing their business, professional, and technical writing abilities. They will explore several of UBC’s resources as well as design and operate a personal blog. The blog will be a forum for students to showcase their work and engage in discussions with classmates. Students will learn in various ways such as: guidance from the instructor, team writing groups, and self editing.

The course, designed and taught by Dr. Erika Paterson, has been divided into 4 units. Each unit is made up of weekly lessons. Students will complete reading assignments and produce written works to be shared among classmates for discussion and peer review every week.

Several projects will be completed throughout the semester including: an application letter, a formal report, an application package on Linked-in, and a Web Folio. A culmination of the student’s best work will be presented in an online portfolio at the end of the course.

My expectations for this course are, most obviously, to improve my writing skills. To be more specific, I hope to make my written works more precise and engaging. I would like to be more aware of appropriate terminology for professional networking. I anticipate that I will become more comfortable navigating online communication forums. I am particularly pleased that we will have the chance to practice essential skills such as building an online resume and developing a Linked-in profile as these will be necessary in achieving our professional aspirations.