Biography

Page

Hi,

My name is Christina Hruby. I am a student in the Faculty of Dental Science, specializing in Dental Hygiene. I am currently a dental hygienist practicing in Montreal. I am doing my degree completely online while I work full time at a periodontal office. Upon completion of my degree, I hope to teach dental hygiene at the local college and pursue a master’s degree.

The dental hygiene profession has been a good fit for me. I enjoy my work and my patients greatly. Throughout my career I have striven to challenge my abilities and improve my skills by working in different fields of dental hygiene. I began in general practice, then expanded into specialized clinics that treat prosthodontic and periodontal patients. The firm that I work for presently offers continuing education to referring dentists and I was honored to develop and present a conference this past February to an audience of 250 dental professionals. The experience was nerve-racking, but successful. Once social distancing restrictions are lifted, I will be presenting again.

I have always been an avid continuing education attendee. Dental hygiene is a field that is continuously researching and developing new techniques and equipment. There is never a lack of conventions, conferences, or webinars to register for. The UBC Dental Science degree concentrating in Dental Hygiene is unique in that it introduces concepts that affect how one views the profession, evaluates the merit of empirical data, or makes professional decisions. The program has challenged me to think outside the box, leave my comfort zone, and set new personal goals. The decision to return to school is one that I have been mulling over for years. I am happy with the path that I have chosen and am impressed with the insightful work of my classmates. The exceptional academic  environment in which I find myself motivates me to reach for more.