Blog #1

From September till now, my job for Brendan consists two main sections: making a BAF gallery maquette and conducting research.

We chose to use foam core to build the maquette. Despite the BAF gallery provided us a model maquette so that we don’t need to do measurement and calculations, the physical process was a bit more challenging than my expectation. There were few times we got stuck because the maquette wasn’t looking as good as our intention. For instance, the liquid glue did not dry completely which made the maquette look dirty or the foam cores were too thick to put pins (for reinforcing) through. The thing I got out of this experience is it is crucial to have the capability to work with what I’ve got so far instead of starting over since the same problem may occur again and again. My favorite part of the maquette is the windows. I found the decision of using transparent plastic pieces besides the main entrance was working well as that’s where the windows are located in the actual gallery. The maquette that BAF gallery provided us just used foam core for the windows, but I think using the transparent plastic would help Brendan better in checking the “street view” of the installation for those who go pass by the gallery.

This maquette will be brought to Brendan and he will discuss how the gallery space is utilized in detail during our next meeting.

As for research at this point, I had been going through visuals that relate to cloud, installation art, and wooden support structure. Brendan invited Sarah and me to join a Pinterest group in which we share our collected images and the next research would build on those images. I am enjoying doing research this way as one image always leads to more which feels like I am on a trip that there is no destination, meaning I could stop wherever I like. For instance, when I was searching for “supporting structure,” this image of an iron made jellyfish came up. Even though it does not have direct link towards the cloud motif, I start to think of using wire to construct a cloud shape from it. It would be interesting to see a soft, unreachable cloud being transformed as a solid-structured, touchable sculpture.