Blog #3 (VABF Day 3)

Day three was definitely my favorite day. Anne and I worked the front desk area which was very dependent on talking with guest, which we both knew would be a challenge. We were both shy in the beginning, which was a given, but after a while we got a hang of it. I felt that having Sarah (who is a long time VABF staff member) be there with us was what really pushed Anne and I to be comfortable and confident. I have to give huge props to her because her personality and energy is something that I truly admire. For most of the shift we dealt with memberships and general questions. Other than that, it was a very easy going day, Anne and I had good conversation amongst each other, with the guest and staff. We were even able to check out Vancouver Art Gallery’s book sale and purchase some interesting art books.

If I could sum up my whole experience at the VABF in a couple words it would be: curious people making fruitful connections. Despite the utopic nature of this statement; I feel that the VABF has a different atmosphere compared to what would be typically associated with the art scene. For a long time, art (specifically big art institutions) has carried with it a sense of prestige. Even as art becomes more local and inclusive there is still a seductive quality to its atmosphere. In this sense, it is ‘inclusive’ in that art no longer solely belongs to big art galleries and sellers. However, these smaller ‘institutions’ that have been formed can still promote exclusivity. Localized art scenes tend to become niche, harvesting an atmosphere of ‘like-minded’ people, which would then situate those not falling within that category as outsiders. This is a classic example of scenes promoting this need to ‘fit in.’ As much as we would like to establish independence being accepted within a group is very seductive, especially when it comes to the arts, as it has become increasingly regarded as ‘hip, modern and cool.’ From my previous blog post raving about the inclusive nature of the VABF, it would be fair to assume that the VABF would function in this manner. In some respects, this is true. However, I find this to be more of a person to person scenario (exhibitors being from a certain school, thus classmates tend to flock around their booths etc.) The VABF doesn’t create this subliminal exclusive atmosphere, because it is not structured to support any art style or theory in particular. It’s free flowing nature and its lack of specificity when it comes to exhibitors really works towards this idea of art as an open forum. I feel that this is further emphasized as it is a public event, with many of their visitors being people who’ve stumbled upon the event at random, but are still able to participate as the art is presented in a more digestible and interactive way. You don’t have to have an extensive knowledge of art theory, you can simply ask the exhibitor about their work or purchase work you find interesting. With a complete diversity of people and topics, the VABF is reminiscent of organisms or atoms bumping into each other  in a flurry, transferring energies/information. It is a unique space where socializing doesn’t come with the heavy anxiety of trying to ‘fit in.’

https://youtu.be/HDZnh3ZK-sI