Blog #4

As we are working on the same thing recently, I want to write about the workspace and some conversation with co-workers. The Capture office located two floors above a glasses shop at Cambie and Cordova in Gastown (305 Cambie). The office is about the size of our classroom in BC binning, which is not bad considering there are only three people work there every day (not including me and billy). It is one room divide into two, Kate and Kim work in the inner room and Jaclyn works in the outer room. Billy and I stay with Jaclyn, but usually the door that part the two room is open which make the space one big room. Besides human, there are three cute dogs stay in the office with us. Kim and Kate work full time as executive director and program manager while Jaclyn works part-time as festival manager. Since the team is relatively small, Kim is usually busy and our task is given by Kate and Jaclyn for most of the time. There is no clear hierarchy in the office, everyone just busy on the job that they are responsible for. 

Because of the partnership, I go to Gastown more often than in the past two years. I feel that the area radiant from East Hasting via Main street is the art scene of the city, where a lot of creative industries set their location there and they depends mostly on mental labor. It is true that “communication is productive within the contemporary working environment” (Gielen). A lot of work done by the Capture team is contacting and talking to artists, curator instead of actually producing.

Among the Kim Kate and Jaclyn, we interact with Jaclyn the most as we stay in the room together. I was glad that I got the opportunity to take to someone in the industry(?). Through conversation, I know that Jaclyn spent her undergraduate at UBC majoring art history and minoring English and she also studied in Scotland after undergraduate. I ask about her career path and she said that she doesn’t have a clear career path. Instead, she said it was an accumulation of many small positions make her where she is today. She initially worked at a magazine, which its office is just next to Capture’s office. Beside the part-time job at Capture, she also works as a freelancer on editing. Jaclyn is very nice that she informs us about the funding of the BC art council, which could be very helpful if artists decide to stay in BC (which could be us). She also told a story of their former intern, who is 27-year-old, tired of short-term contract and confused about the future. Although I have not started working in the real world and develop my career, I can relate to the story and thought it could be me. I still don’t know how to answer the question “what is your plan after graduate?”. I enjoy listening and learning from other people’s story but at the same time everyone is different and there are millions of ways to get to where you want, especially in creative industry. I can foresee, no matter what, it will be hard at the beginning.