Blog #2

For the past two weeks (Oct 12, 19), Billy and I were doing a research on Capture artist/gallery upcoming exhibition and preparing post for Capture’s social media.

Capture is working on a website that provides updated exhibition information about artist and gallery that participated in the festival in the past. Our job is to collect the exhibition information. Kate showed us a website (http://backup.parisphoto.com/agenda?t=last-days&grid=1) and explain what they expect the Capture one looks like. So Billy and I basically went through all the Capture magazine and did the research. There are more than 40 galleries in the Great Vancouver, which is more than what I know or expected. However, through researching their upcoming exhibition, I found that there are only a few galleries focus on lens-based art and there are not many exhibitions on photography. Through this I realized the importance of the Capture, as an annual photography festival that devoted to spark and expand public dialogue on photography as a form of art.

The other thing we were working on was preparing some #tbt posts for Capture’s Instagram and Twitter. These posts aim to get people excited about the upcoming Capture Festival. First, we had to select few images from the 2017 photo documentation, then we need to write the captions for the posts. We did some research on other public accounts, such as their writing and choice of image. We also looked through the previous posts by Capture in order to avoid repetition. Billy and I struggled a bit with the writing since it is the first time for both of us to write for a public account. After finishing the draft, we showed it to Kate, Jaclyn, and Kim. Kim suggested that we should choose images that have vibrant color in order to attract people and Jaclyn proofread our draft. After a few revises, we post our draft on HootSuite, which is a social media management platform that sends posts automatically at the time you set. Through arranging posts and getting feedback from our supervisor, I learn more about social media strategy. I think it is useful because, nowadays, probably any industry has to promote themselves through an online platform.