Blog#4 Night Party

The night event was held smoothly on Saturday night. Lots of artists and art collectors joined in the activity and showed their interests in those artwork going on sale. I went there at 4.30pm and helped the curator record, organize and post informations of artworks, during the period of preparing music and food for the later party, I was chatting with one organizer who was working for the Richmond Archive, she was an artist as well but now pays more attention to her own business, developing the ability of management and focusing on graphic design. In this casual talk, she shared the idea of reflecting the beauty of nature, animals’ behaviors by using several different types of machines, I never heard those names before, and had no chance to touch them.

Like what I have watched in the New media Gallery couple days ago, she mentioned one piece of her machines, which was similar to a light sensor, but the gap between each flash appearing to viewers was controlled by her computer, it is accessible to change datas in order to manipulate those brilliant light. It sounds really cool and charming for me, besides, we still discussed our jobs, she suggested more about experience of being an artist.

We know an artist is not only doing her/his own projects and then may send them to an exhibition or other places, so that he/she could support themselves financially. As an artist, it is responsibility to convey ideas which could advance people in the society. We should try our best to translate unusual concepts(only artists or people start doing arts could understand), and make them as normal knowledges that the public are able to approach. Importantly, we want artworks to be the inspiration to others, once beginners(like me)understand what they are doing for arts, thereby for society and culture, it is easily for people to accept artistic ideas which are thought to be weird.

I was taking photos for each visitor, one of them was my professor Barrie Jones, his photo was displayed on the night party as well. I continue doing my work and sometimes people asked me about their questions of selling and buying artworks there, so I was willing to give them instructions as much as possibly, it was happy for me to communicate with visitors and artists through the party. When I was talking within a group, I could always learn their speaking skills, to hear different experiences coming from each person. It reminded me of the plan and expectation for this course, there was slightly change from the beginning to now, an excellent artist should find a way to apply works to normal life, as long as we make it, the practice and experience of doing arts could open your mind to the world, promoting you to be a better person instead of  staying away from the public. I still worried about the financial situation of making my artworks, but over twenty works in this party were almost sold out, we collected and wrote down deal prices, I thought an artist should be confident with own works, trying to persuade visitors feeling sense of that. It could be challengeable for me to do the same thing, but I need to prepare in order to feel with such issues in the future.

[Resume Line]

Gallery Assistant

i       online posters

ii      help with Making of an Archive

ii      transaltion record

iv     doing research on Immigrants’ history

v      Night Party(Artwork sell)