Lola: Project outline with the CAG

Michele and I met with Holly at the CAG last Tuesday, the 26th, where she gave us an overview of all of the CAG’s projects for the next three months. She went over Keg de Souza’s residency and the events related to her project, the artists in upcoming exhibitions in to January, the partnerships with local high schools, and the events that take place at the CAG such as family day and tours. We were not given specific tasks that we’ll be working on throughout partnership but rather she opened up the possibility for us to work with any area within these projects that we are interested in. This is great for Michele and I because it gives us the freedom to do some projects together but also personalize what projects we want to work on. For example Michele is interested in communications/social media and working with children, where I am keen on working on writing the education public programs for the exhibitions and working with the education projects with the high schools. The projects that the CAG carries out are dominantly rooted in education which function in an integrative way with the community. I see that these programs acts as a platform for the community to learn about the art projects as an engaged participant of the projects rather than as outside viewers in the gallery space, a fantastic way for people of all ages to have access to learning about contemporary art.

After my meeting Holly sent me an email giving details of the dates of the events associated with projects. Emailing is a platform we have been communicating on however we have planned to have Tuesday afternoons for 5 hours be the time that I do work with her at the CAG. Outside of my weekly work period at the gallery I’ll attend extracurricular events on dates that I choose, for example two days at Keg De Souza’s weekend workshops, and one family day. I will be attending Keg’s workshop on October 22nd and 23rd, and family day on November 27. Other than those dates the project offers a variety of possible focuses we can choose to work with, and seems that as the partnership progresses my roles in the projects will be evolving with them. Holly’s plans (dates, events) with high schools John Oliver and King George have yet to be solidified, so depending on how those plans evolve the schedule is subject to shift. Given the nature of the project consisting of many different areas to work in, I believe my role working at the CAG is to help facilitate Holly and Shaun with the projects that are taking place over the course of the partnership, however throughout the course of the partnership I want to engage in my own research in education programs offered at the CAG and other galleries in Vancouver.