Project Outline

Capture festival present exhibitions throughout the province of British Columbia annually in the summer time, which means I might not able to help set up exhibitions as I expected in the very beginning. However, the team is currently receiving and reviewing submission of exhibitions, Billy and I were will be reviewing part of the submissions together.

Besides the annual photography exhibition in the Summer, Capture festival is also working on a public art program. The program aims to introduce both local and international artist, present their works and provoke thoughts and conversation. Currently, my task is to photograph the billboards along the Arbutus Greenway. Good quality photographs are needed for the magazine that Capture published once a year showcasing their work. I also have to take photos of the surrounding to sent to the artist, so that they can be familiar with the environment in which their works will be displayed. I am happy to utilize skills I learned in photography class to complete the tasks.

The first meeting with Kate, the program manager of Capture, took place in their office in around gas town. We discussed our interests and what skills we hope to gain in the partnership. Kate showed us a range of potential works and we figured out what specific task we will be working on based on our interest and strength. About half of the works will need Billy and I work together, another half will be completed individually. I am happy that I am able to choose what to work on individually, at the same time, learn from working as a team.

We agreed that Billy and I will report to Kate every Thursday at around 9:40am and work in the office for around 5 hours. However, working hours and location could be flexible and it really depends on the tasks we are working on at that time. For instance, I was asked to take photos for Capture’s magazine this week. In this case, I don’t need to go to the office and I will edit the photographs at home.

As we work in the office with Kate for most of the time, we are able to communicate directly. When we are not in the office, communication will take place via email or phone. It is the first time for Capture festival to have UBC student/intern to work with and learn from them, so both of us are still figuring out what’s the best way for us to work together. Communication and getting feedback is particularly important.

Although tasks assigned so far didn’t come with a specific deadline, we are expected to complete it as soon as possible. Generally, I am very excited to work with the Capture Festival and curious about what changes the partnership can bring to me.