Project Outline

After meeting with Kim and Holly at the Contemporary Art Gallery I have been given two different projects to work on during the semester, both guided and individually.  The projects are as follows:

Family Days

October 28th 12-3pm, November 25 12-3pm

On the last Saturday of each month, the CAG invites all ages to drop-in for short exhibition tours and free art-making activities that respond to current exhibitions.

I will be formatting and creating art projects and the program for the Family Days in both October and November, working with about a $100 budget for each event.  This project will require organization to bring the events together, time management, a healthy dose of creativity to involve children in contemporary art, and ingenuity for sourcing materials on a small budget.

School Program for Andrew Dadson Exhibition

Show opens October 12th and continues through to December

A school program plan will be formatted for the upcoming exhibition which I will be helping Kimberly the curator at CAG with, roughly 3-5 schools will attend this program during the span of the exhibition.  Research will be important for this project since the exhibition will be thoroughly discussed with school groups for roughly an hour and a half, however, since the school program is already nearly done it is more likely that I will be co-presenting the program with one of the CAG staff.  This will include public speaking and engaging with a school group through questions, it was indicated during our meeting that a lot of the program is asking the students questions and responding to their answers to create a conversation on contemporary art.

I will be working at the CAG every Wednesday for 5 hours to complete these projects (and will be attending the two Family Days events on Saturdays as well).  One of my main goals is to be productive and efficient with my time, finishing the projects—in particular the Family Days—well before the deadlines and without having to work outside of the designated hours.  Readings and research will also be important to have a solid base for both projects, I want to prioritize readings during the span of this course/project since they often fall to the wayside for me.  I also hope to engage with the community at CAG and the larger art community in the city, attending their fundraising gala on November 4th, making it out to an ongoing project they have at Strathcona Elementary school, and going to artist talks.  I will mainly communicate and work with Kim (sharing part of her office maybe) so, I will endeavour to keep lines of communication open in regards to the projects and any questions I may have, while likely receiving feedback at the same time.  All in all this is an exciting opportunity and I look forward to seeing where this leads.