Sharon’s Project Outline

My partnership with Access Gallery will mainly focus on conducting research surrounding the 23 Days at Sea Residency and the resulting exhibition. As the residency is a three year initiative, the plan is to have a culminating exhibition that will potentially tour across various locations in Canada, the USA, Europe, Asia, and Australia. My main task, working alongside director/curator Kimberly Phillips, is to research potential sites in these locations for the exhibition. I am to assist in compiling a list of art spaces that would be suitable for this exhibition both physically/spatially and conceptually, i.e. critical contemporary galleries, perhaps with a specific focus on emergent art practices and artists like Access. The exhibition is potentially eligible for a grant (due November 30), and thus, establishing a concrete pitch for touring sites that align with Access’ vision and mandate is vital. I think this will provide excellent insight on how grants work. It will also allow me to learn more about art galleries and spaces on an international scope.

Another one of my main initial tasks is to update the archives, specifically relating to the recent media coverage of the 23 Days at Sea Residency. This will allow me to utilize my organizational skills while giving me experience in the methodology of archiving in an artist run centre.

My plan is to be at Access once a week, although research-related duties may be completed remotely. Kimberly is not at Access every day, but we have established a clear approach to communication/organization through email and Google Docs.

As the date of their Annual Auction Fundraiser approaches (November 19), their biggest event, I will also provide support when needed.