Thursday October 27th

In this meeting, I got to learn more about Sarah and Duggan’s curatorial process in the New Media Gallery. Their approach is quite different from many other curators’ approach that I have seen in the past, such as Vancouver Art Gallery, where curators often pick a theme and try to select works that illustrate that theme. However, Sarah and Duggan would look at different works and try to see how they can come together, even when they are very different from each other. I think this is an organic approach, and can be very enriching to the gallery visitors since they can gain an insight into the different ways in which an art concept can be represented. Going back to my project, I believe learning more about different curating styles is very useful for me in deciding which steps to take next. I have come to finalized the fields in which the people in my iBeacons will be presented:

1. An orthoptist- a certified allied health professional who works under the supervision of an ophthalmologist to evaluate and treat disorders of the visual system with an emphasis on binocular vision (using both eyes to see) and eye movement problems. This field is closely related to the work Surface Tension by Rafael Lozano-Hemmer
  2. Artist Ai Weiwei talking about his work relating to Surveillance Camera, relating to the works Vision Machine #3 and The Agency at the End of Civilization 2014
  3. A government authority person talking about the importance of surveillance to the safety of the nation’s people – relating to The Agency at the End of Civilization 2014
  4. A psychologist talking about the theory of desire and ‘lack’ by Lacan, relating to the work Do Robotic Cats Dream of Electric Fish?

We also experimented more with the iBeacons to see how the devices work when a phone is near. We planned to talk to Judy- the founder of the startup Neartuit in order to learn more about how to use iBeacons. Unfortunately, she could not make it so we hope to see her the next time.

fullsizerender img_9286

Diagram of the content and interface for the iBeacons.