VISA 375 Creative Response

The first image displayed shows the 15 graphics I designed for an upcoming exhibition at Grunt Gallery titled “Settler Sites”. The graphics will be presented in the form of a vintage diner table mat and serve as the front page image on the exhibitions website. This was the primary project I worked on during CBEL. For my VISA 375 creative response shown in the second image I created another table mat, a more personalized version! I designed 8 more graphics where I mimicked the same colour, layout, and text scheme utilized for “Settler Sites”. This is my way of highlighting and echoing the main project I was assigned to for the term. In Addition, my creative response highlights the role of my supervisor — Dan Pon, the archives manager at Grunt Gallery. My creative response displays this through the use of archived images from past exhibitions. In 2010 Grunt Gallery launched: Activating the Archive (ATA) in which a wide selection of the archival material accumulated by the gallery since the very beginning was complied in an online database and made available to the public for research and educational purposes. Using images from the archive highlights Dan’s role as archive manager. The end product of my creative response shows mini advertisements of the past exhibitions and the role of ATA laid out in the format of a diner table mat — collectively highlighting skills attained during the CBEL project, a visual reflection to the primary “Settler Sites” project I worked on, as well as an acknowledgement of the help and guidance from my supervisor Dan Pon and his role as archives manager at Grunt Gallery.

(Image 1) The 15 graphics I designed for “Settler Sites” throughout the term

(Image 2) My Creative Response