Methodological Critique

Value vs. Numbers:

Qualitative Research versus Quantitative Research

Abstract

Which one is better? Qualitative or Quantitative or are they the same. To me, I find that the easiest way to differentiate the two is simply by referring to its name; quality versus quantity.  One draws its conclusions from the richness of data collected, while the other draws it’s from the numbers in the data collected. Though different in how its data was collected, each research method has its own pros and cons, similarities and differences. And, these minor differences can play significant parts in the outcome of the research topics. So, it is very important that we know their characteristics in order to pick the correct method when conducting future research.

Value vs. Numbers:

Many research projects are conducted every year in different fields of study and so it is very important for researchers to know the types of research methods commonly used when conducting research. Two major types of research method are qualitative research and quantitative research. And, according to the type of question being asked, researchers choose the best method to get the most suitable type of result possible. This paper aims to analyse and critique the qualitative and the quantitative research method through two research examples.

For the first part of this paper, I will compare and contrast the two methods. I will state major differences in the description of the problem, selection of participants, data collection, procedure and reporting methods. Then, for the second part of this paper, I will reflect on my own analysis and state its influence on me for my own future research topic.

Part 1: Analysis and Critique

The Methods

In the first article, the Quantitative research method was conducted to answer the question “Can Instructional and Emotional Support in the First-Grade Classroom make a Difference for Children at Risk of School Failure”. (Hamre & Pianta, 2005) The researchers, Bridget Hamre and Robert Pianta, chose to use this method to test the specific hypothesis because the answers they wanted can be steered by numbers in data collection instead of value in the data. The question required input about an experience, and so it would be very inaccurate if only a small number partakes in the research. So this experiment had to be conducted on a larger scale. It is only with a larger scale that the results could represent a more generalized crowd’s perspective regarding the proposed question.

In the second article, a Qualitative research method was conducted to look into the “Developing Teacher Epistemological Sophistication about Multicultural Curriculum”. (Sleeter, 2012) Due to the specificity of the question, the researcher, Christine Sleeter, chose to use a qualitative research method to carry out the research. The Qualitative Research Method is best for focused hypotheses and is meant for research projects with fewer participants. The researchers usually know more information about each participant as compared to researcher in Quantitative Research. In this research, the author/researcher, Sleeter, questioned the development and use of multicultural curriculums in the classroom and so used the method of looking at case studies. Case studies can help the researcher understand unique and complex scenarios.

The Differences

Description. Hamre and Pianta’s article looks into the research question about whether extra supports to at risk students in schools have positive impacts on achievement scores or not.  (Hamre & Pianta, 2005)  In Sleeter’s article, it described the development of a young teacher when deciding what to teach and what not to teach. (Sleeter, 2012)  The researcher aimed to know more about how teachers think when carrying out the curriculum in their class while being prompted by a teacher educator themselves in a higher education classroom.  So the biggest difference in their research topics was not only the question itself but also in the demographic and direction of research.

Participants. Due to the generalization implied in Hamre’s question, the researchers did not need to know their participants; they only had to worry about the number of participants and where the participants came from as a wider demographic would better present results. (Hamre & Pianta, 2005) However, in the second article, Sleeter specifically chose one of her own graduate students to do a case study on, for her research question. It made the research much easier for her to track and conduct as she was able to provide appropriate prompts in a timely manner throughout her case study. (Sleeter, 2012)

Data. Each method had its own data collection methods. In Quantitative Research, the number of participants is usually quite high as having more participants usually provide a better and more accurate generalization. So in the article, participants were from across the nation and from different ethnic groups. The data collected was also organized in the article in written and visual forms for better understanding. However, in the case study, data collection was from only one participant. Due to this, Sleeter’s data collection included coursework and observations by her participant, Ann. (Sleeter, 2012) The materials collectively, gave a lot of detailed information for Sleeter to analyse for her research conclusion.

Procedures. When comparing the two articles, I noticed that in the quantitative research, due to the amount of participants participating, there were a lot more risk factors to consider during data analysis.  These risks helped the author refined parts of the research topic for more specific generalizations. Whereas, the qualitative research was conducted throughout a shorter period of time, the quantitative research took much longer, spanning a couple years. A lot more testing was also conducted at various sites by various observers in quantitative research in comparison to qualitative.

Literature. Hamre’s article had included lots of support from resources, and they were a big mixture of qualitative and quantitative research articles. On the other hand, in Sleeter’s article, the author constantly reviewed and referred back to fewer research articles and results related to observations she made about her participant. It helped supported her observations and conclusions and most of her resources appear to be from qualitative research as well. So it can be seen that regardless of the method, support from previous researches are definitely important and can play crucial parts in helping the readers understand the research.

Conclusions. In Hamre’s detailed article, the results from the research project showed a generalize conclusion with much support, that though the answer wasn’t a YES, it wasn’t a NO either.  The results showed that the gap between failure and achievement can be closed when teachers provide support to students during their studies as compared to the widening gap in students with no support. And, in the qualitative research article, Sleeter’s conclusion didn’t give a definite yes or no answer. The process, has however, helped the researcher understand their work better and reinforced important perspectives about education.

Part 2: My Future Research

From each method, I saw many differences and similarities. It made me think about some important parts when designing my own research. For instance, should the design of my research have an open-ended or closed ended question? This could significantly steer my research from one research method to another. For a new educational researcher, I believe it’s easier to start conducting researches using quantitative methods with topics related to their current coursework. This can provide the practice and understanding for what they are learning while doing. Then, as the researcher progresses in their research, I believe they will start to lean towards more qualitative research methods, as the results would give them more depth in understanding.

For my own research coming up, I started out proposing some research questions that seem to be too broad for qualitative research but too specific for quantitative research. So, I change the wording of my question, to refine a better final research question for quantitative research.  My research topic will be related to ESL and be experience based. Due to this, my participant pool will consist of ESL students who are readily available to me at the school I currently teach at. So though it is a generalized conclusion at the end, it’s generalized to only students at the school I’ve chosen to conduct my research project at and not for all students across the nation.

Reference:

Hamre, B.K. Planta, R.C (2005). “Can instructional and Emotional Support in the First grade Classroom Make a Difference for Children at Risk of School Failure?” Blackwell Publishing  Child Development, 76. (pp.949 – 967).

Sleeter, C. (2012). Developing teacher epistemological sophistication about multicultural curriculum: A case study. In L. R. Gay, G. E. Mills, & P. W.
Airasian, Educational research: Competencies for analysis and application (10th ed.) (pp. 55-59). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.